Cardamine

Cardamine - Paternal error.

[Theseus POV]

I heard of what Ranboo did while I was asleep and I was... Proud? Well, I was a little surprised he understood the plan. I guess I underestimated the poor guy.

Bay Leaf isn't as agitated as before, which is good, now Bay Leaf hardly ever throws a tantrum, if at all. Of course, not everything is "oh-so-wonderful."

I'm still pretty weak, but I'm allowed to get up and walk around now. I've found that I can't remember things from a year ago anymore, only the last three or four months stuck in my head. Something that continued to frighten me.

Da- Duke Sam has been taking care of me since the stabbing and I've been feeling a lot better ever since. Maybe Dream was right, maybe he will be a good father to me. He was still going through the adoption process, though it seemed to be going by a lot faster than normal. I wonder what's the rush, but then again, I have a shit family and a brother who tried to kill me so... I kinda see where they're coming from.

At some point, I saw Ranboo talking with the Emperor, well, more like crying to the Emperor. Of course, I'd told him to do so, but it still surprised me with how well he was doing it. I watched as the Emperor pulled Ranboo in close and hugged him, something that he hadn't done to me since before I became crown prince. No, years before that! My point is even though it's part of the plan I still find it heartbreaking that he'd do that for a commoner but not his own son.

I watched as the Emperor's face turned from guilty sorrow to disgust as he hugged Ranboo, I knew the face was for me, and I knew this was planned, so why did it still shatter my heart when it happened? I turned away, walking silently back down the hall. I passed Wisp who'd just caught up with me and he stopped me in my tracks.

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking very concerned. I sighed and pointed to the corner, he quietly made his way over and peeked at the two who were still hugging. He grimaced and walked back with me, both of us sharing the same look on our faces. We both speed-walked to Duke Sam's chambers where I found him looking through his clothes again. He turned his head when I burst in. Forgetting my manners, I walked right up to him and stared at him as my lip quivered.

"The emperor is a bitch," I said, my voice breaking. He pulled me into a hug and I wrapped my arms around him, my face buried in his chest. "What happened?" He asked, petting my hair. I sniffled and mumbled something, I felt Sam lean closer and I tilted my head away from his chest to he could hear.

"He's replacing me with Ranboo! Ranboo's upset and he fuckin hugged him but the emperor hasn't hugged me in more than nine years!" I sobbed loudly, hugging Sam tighter. He hugged me back just as hard and let me cry into his shirt, something that would've caused my pride to shatter and ruin me only a few months ago. But now it was just as welcome as warmth on an especially chilly day.

Sam eventually laid me on his bed and sat next to me as he lulled me to sleep. Although I wasn't asleep, just closing my eyes. Sam and Wisp talked in hushed voices about me and the Emperor.

"Theseus is telling the truth, I saw it myself. The Emperor clearly cares more about Ranboo than his own son. We have to do something!" Wisp whispered, clearly upset.

"I know, I know, but this adoption thing takes time. You must understand that by now." Sam said, his voice was smooth and calm, although I could tell he was worried too.

"Is there any way it can go faster? Theseus doesn't have much time left."

"It would only go faster if the Emperor tried or did something truly terrible to Theseus. We have a little more time, remember? The stabbing gave him at least-"