Lazy Day

Baby Tooth watched Jack sleep like it was the last time she'd ever see him. Tooth contacted North and stepped out into the hall. "How is my boy?" He asked anxiously.

Tooth smiled, "He's okay. Baby Tooth is a major person in his life so the memories he saw were strong ones." She explained. She was right after all, Baby Tooth was his first physical friend.

Of course the Wind had been with him since day one, but that was different. North sighed with relief, "I miss him Toothie, its only been one day." He spoke with a slightly saddened tone.

"I know North, but he's safe here. He can be properly looked after, medically. Since that fight with Pitch he's become unstable. It was only a matter of time before we had to bring him here." She ecplained.

North knew this, but he hated that it came to this point. "Toothie, be honest with me. Will he get worse?" North asked grimly and Tooth hesitated.

"I.." she took a breath. "I can't say for certain. It's too soon to tell. For all we know, he could get better and then decline rapidly or decline and then get better. He could get better and better, or worse and worse." She spoke honestly.

North bowed his head. "But as of right now, he's doing well considering what happened yesterday." She was referring to the incident at the Pole with Jamie. But her statement made them both feel better. "Contact me if anything else comes up. Tell him I said hello and that I miss him." North said and Tooth nodded.

"Will do, get some rest North." And with that, they ended the communication. Tooth left the sleeping boy and her fairy alone for now, deciding to go to work but from the palace like she used to before Jack got her to go out again.

Baby Tooth continued to watch her friend sleep, he looked so fragile yet peaceful. She reached her hand out and touched his cheek with a thoughtful look. He must have been so frightened when he'd first lost his memories.

Her eyes drifted down to his bandaged neck and she furrowed her feathery brows. She slowly reached down and pulled the thin fabric down slightly, gasping when she saw the discolored skin underneath.

She looked up at his face in fear, what had happened to him- then it clicked. When her mother had come home that one day, looking horrified and nearly broken. She wanted to know what happened, but she promised she wouldn't leave him.

Her and the frost child were quite close, maybe she'd ask him about it, but she didn't want to make him relive it all. She'll ask another time. For now, she'll stand watch over him and protect him as he slept.

As the sun rose the next day, Jack slowly came back to the land of the living. He rolled over in the soft bed, facing away from the open wall and mumbling something in his half asleep state. Baby Tooth's feathers bristled at the movement and sound, the boy hardly moved at all through the night.

She chirped quietly and he hummed in response, still not quite awake, but little coherent. She fluttered over him since he'd rolled over and sat in front of his face. She stared at him expectantly, but he didn't move or open his eyes.

She chirped like a bird singing an early morning song and his lips curled into a small smile. Baby Tooth's eyes widened slightly at his reaction, so she continued.

Jack's eyes began to flutter open, the pretty song giving him that gentle push to wake up. Baby Tooth made a note of this, so if the occasion rose again, which it would, she'd sing him sweet bird-songs to wake him up.

She chirped a giddy good morning, smiling brightly up at him. He smiled brightly back at her, his cheeks tinted a soft, delicate pink. "Mornin'," he rubbed his eye with his fist but made no motion of getting out of bed.

"That was a pretty song, did I dream it?" He asked sleepily. He wasn't quite sure if he had in fact heard it or if he simply dreamt of it. Baby Tooth, being a tad mischievous, decided to keep it to herself.

She shrugged her shoulders and Jack hummed. He looked over his shoulder at the view from the open wall. It was breathtaking. He didn't want to get up just yet, he didn't have to bring snow yet, and he enjoyed just laying there in bed with Baby Tooth. Not to mention his body ached a bit.

Baby Tooth chirped at him and he gave her his hand, to which she immediately used it as a blanket or like a cave. "Did you sleep at all?" He asked, not really looking at her, but he felt her head shake.

"Why not?" He asked, looking down at her, her head barely peaking out from under his hand. She chirped again. The mini fairies didn't really need to sleep, but they did every once in a while.

Jack nodded in understanding, turning his gaze back to the view. Even though Jack only has two memories of Baby Tooth, and technically just met her, their closeness and relationship hasn't changed at all. They're still just as close as before.

"Is it okay if I just stay in bed for now?" He asked, looking back down at her for permission. She was a bit confused a this but realised Jack was usually always doing things. He was either bringing winter, taking care of and playing with the kids, helping the other Guardians, or other things.

He rarely ever got the chance to just relax and do nothing. The same went for Baby Tooth as well. As far as she was concerned, they didn't need to get out of bed. The more she thought about it, she realised Tooth would probably be happy with Jack staying in bed for now anyway.

She nodded up at him, snuggling his thumb. After a moment of silence she asked how he was feeling, and after another moment of silence Jack told her he felt okay. She knew he wasn't one hundred percent, but she wished he felt better soon.

He smiled softly at the tiny being in his hand. He let his mind wander as he gazed a her, though she was preoccupied with fiddling with his fingers and hand.

She was indeed very tiny. He began to think of her wearing a tiny hat. The mere thought of it made him giggle, drawing the fairy's attention to him. "You'd look adorable in a tiny hat." And he giggled again as she stared at him with a confused yet amused face.

She was wondering where he'd gotten the idea and why he even thought of it, but suddenly felt something on her small feathered head. Reaching up and pulling it off of her head to inspect it, she found it was a tiny cowboy hat made from ice.

"Put it back on, let me see," he quitely exclaimed. She shook her head but decided to amuse him, so she put it back on and put her hands on her hips proudly. Jack bursted into giggles, she looked silly but adorable.

"What in the name of the Moon is going on-" Tooth came in but stopped when she saw the cause of Jack's laughter. "Oh my goodness-" Tooth laughed as well, making Jack laugh and giggle more and made Baby Tooth laugh as well.

When Jack had his memories, he'd shown Tooth what a camera was and convinced her to get one. Tooth pulled out that same camera and snapped a few good photos of Baby Tooth and Jack. This would be so cute to look back on, and to send to North.

The rest of the day went on like that. Jack only got out of bed a few times, but ultimately took a lazy day off with Baby Tooth. Tooth popped in every hour or so to check in on them, giving North, and even Jamie, updates now and again.

****

Hello Snowflakes,

Another chapter because I felt like it, hope you enjoyed. Thank you for all of the sweet comments.

*Jack Frost*