Calum - you can't have kids

I was devastated. For the longest time, Calum and I had tried for kids. For months, we tried, eager to have a mini Hood running around. I knew something was wrong, but didn't want to bring up the idea of infertility to Calum, scared of how he might react. So I went in to get checked out. My doctor came into the room with a grim face and gave me my results: I couldn't have kids. The one thing Calum and I wanted so bad.

Calum was making dinner when I entered the house, humming a song happily to himself.

"Hey, babe!" he called, looking over at me and smiling.

I gave him a subtle smile as I slipped off my shoes and dropped my purse by the front door.

"Hey," I said, walking over and wrapping my arms around him from behind.

"How was your day?" he asked.

I hesitated, "Cal, I need to talk to you."

He turned around and nodded, draping his arms around my waist as he leaned against the counter.

"I know we've been trying to have kids for a long time..." I started.

A smile grew on his face, "Oh my god... You're, you're pregnant? Oh god, this is great! I'm g-"

"Calum," I cut him off, upset as I knew how much this would crush him. "I'm not pregnant."

He nodded, "Oh."

"I'm the exact opposite, actually," I mumbled. I looked up at him with teary eyes. "I can't have kids."

He stared at me for a second, "You mean... like..."

"I'm infertile. I can't have kids... I'm sorry."

I took a step away from him, causing his arms to fall. We stood in silence for a minute, both of us staring at the ground as we sorted out our thoughts.

I can't give him the one thing he wants. I can't give him anything.

He stepped forward and pulled me into his chest.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled as tears welled up. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry."

"I can't give you the one thing you want!"

He pulled away and looked me dead in the eye, gripping my arms. "You're the one thing I want."