Luke: Sleepless

Being a full time college student was far from easy, and oftentimes I found my responsibilities catching up to me. Like tonight, when my horrible sleep schedule had finally caught up with me and I found myself still awake at 5am, unable to sleep and not feeling the slightest bit tired. The past few days of staying up too late and taking long naps during the day had finally caught up to me and now I was paying for it.

Luke was fast asleep by 11, an entire 6 hours ago. I, on the other hand, had slipped out of bed around 1 am to at least be productive during these sleepless hours. I was sitting on the couch in the living room, working on a paper for my literature class, when I heard soft footsteps behind me. I turned, seeing Luke at the top of the stairs, shirtless in his grey sweats.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" I asked him.

He chuckled, walking down the stairs, "I could ask the same of you."

I shrugged, "I just can't sleep."

"Why not?" He took a seat next to me.

"My poor execution of being a college student has caught up to me and now I can't fall asleep because I'm just not tired."

"But you're gonna be exhausted in a few hours."

I nodded, "Yeah, that's the shitty part of all this."

He nodded towards my laptop, "What are you working on?"

"My literature class. We have an essay."

He gently pulled my laptop away from me and closed the lid, setting it on the coffee table.

"Come on, let's go back to back and at least try to get you asleep. You've been working on that paper all day. It's not gonna turn out well if you're writing it half asleep."

I groaned, "I hate when you're right."

He smirked, standing up and grabbing my hand. He pulled me up the stairs with him and into our bedroom.

We slid under the covers of our king bed and met in the middle. I lay on my side, facing him, our chests pressed together. He kept his arm wrapped around my waist, resting on my lower back. He rubbed small circles in my skin with the pad of his thumb.

"Sing to me," I whispered.

He chuckled, "Okay."

He softly sang into my hair, and in the comfort of his arms, I fell asleep.