3.2: NYC - Reputation

"I was very mistaken," Judge Cole cackled as the stench of the wine he'd been gulping down seeped through his breath. "I misheard Miss James say she was flying in, it was the other way around."

Since I sat down, I've spent the thirty minutes listening to Judge Cole ramble on and over compliment Miss Rebecca James, and I kept my mouth shut about it, but while that happened, Rebecca couldn't keep her eyes off Dominic. She batted her long lashes and hungrily devoured possibly every physical feature of the man beside me, who paid her no attention as his focus stayed down at the plate of food in front of him, picking at the pieces of green in the salad with one hand and wrapped his other around mine and purposely displayed it on the table along with the ring. I think something must've happened to them, something that - most likely - have been romantic or physical.

Rebecca was taller than me, she had blond hair that waved just an inch passed her shoulders, she had a slender frame and her face was prettier - she could easily pull off being a model... For all I know, she could be.

I felt pretty intimidated by the thought.

"For all those months I've known every partner in Lawler & Walsh, I'd never want to ask for anyone else's help," She replied to Judge Cole while brushing strands of her silky locks to behind her ear and flashed a smile towards the man beside me.

"I'm only here because my fiancée wanted to take your case," Dominic hissed, still avoiding to look at her.

"Oh?" Her tone sounded like she doubted, her focus shifted to me and she looked like she didn't trust me either.

Pfft, I don't trust her either!

"My apologies for not congratulating the two of you sooner, Dommy!" Rebecca sounded fake as she tapped her slender, manicured fingers atop her chest. So if she didn't become a model, she could probably pull off an actress. "I never thought Dommy would've settled down."

Emphasis on settled.

I actually wanted to reach over the table and smack her across that pampered face of hers, but instead, I slid my hand from Dominic's and squeezed his leg under the table, which caused him to flinch and look at me as I asked, "So, not everyone knows you were dating someone?"

"Only people who live under a rock wouldn't know about us. And I have your photo as my phone wallpaper and in my wallet," He argued and insulted the other woman at the same time.

"I don't remember being told you were dating someone, Dommy? I've known you for three months already."

"Don't lie, Rebecca."

"Ok, what is going on?" I finally spoke up. "Look, if there is something going on here, I'd like to know."

Dominic snatched my hand and pulled me out of the booth, his angered gaze shifted to the old man beside the blonde matched with the frown that wrinkled the skin between each brow. "Judge Cole, this crossed the line, and I only gave on strike!" He tried to say his words calmly before he marched off with me dragged behind him.

The last thing I saw was a smirking judge and a darker smile on the woman, both glaring towards me.

"Dom, what the fuck?" I finally exhaled once we stepped outside, I pulled away from him again and rubbed at my throbbing fingers after being squeezed by his. "Can you just tell me what's going on? We both said no more lies."

"My Uncle and that judge are playing you for a fool."

"And it seems that you are too. So you either tell me or-"

He gripped at my shoulders and caressed them with his thumbs, he leaned down closer to my eye level and stared me right in the eyes. "That woman in there is nothing to me, I swear on it."