6.0: Day Ten - Goodbye Mr Walsh

January 5

I'd remember this day like it was yesterday. I'd replay it over and over to remind myself of the freedom we all achieved, especially for Dominic, despite his inner feelings being in pain of betrayal.

The day started with just Dominic and I house hunting near the suburbs, he wanted to for the sake of the bub slowly growing in my belly, and the bump became visible already, well, possibly because I haven't shopped for work maternity clothing yet, so the clothes I wore had wrapped well around my figure. I really thought we'd be fine and happy, but then, halfway through one of the viewing of a house I really favored, my phone rang.

"Get to the court house soon, I'll meet you there," My Father instructed.

"Why?"

"I'll explain there, Marianne."

"Okay, okay," I muttered and waited for Dominic by the kitchen. I watched him from the window as he was outside with the real estate agent, having a serious discussion about the property and they were both gesturing and pointing at fixtures. As I stared out of that window, I caressed my baby bump, smiling subconsciously at the thought of our child running around with Dominic as I'd watch from the very spot.

I imagined it like it already happened.

"Annie, you okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "This house is really nice, and it's at the end of the cul-de-sac, so it's very private."

"And the neighbours are amazing," The agent added. "Two houses on the left are owned by a growing family as well, the one to the right of this is a retired couple."

"I like it too," Dominic agreed. "I don't even think I'd need to convince my soon-to-be wife about this."

"No, you don't," I chuckled.

"Well, just in case, I'll give you two a minute," The agent grinned. He knew he was already guaranteed a commission, but I supposed it was part of his job to make sure the potential buyers are certain to take it.

I waited for the man to leave before I fully faced Dominic, losing my bright smile as I said, "My Dad called, we have to go to the court house."

His smile faded just as quick. "What for?" He asked in an uneasy tone.

"I don't know. He just said to meet him there as soon as possible. I'm just relaying the message, Dom."

Dominic looked around the house one more time, a sigh escaping him as his pretty hazel eyes met back with mine. We both weakly smiled, mine was from knowing this wasn't going to be our home, but I'm guessing that it was the same for him. I wandered closer to him, wrapping my arms around his torso and poked my tongue out at him to tease the seriousness of his face, and he only tapped at my nose in response and asked, "Do you want this house?"

I nodded. "It seems so perfect."

"Then, before we go-" He let me go and told me he'd be back, leaving me alone once more. I don't know what he was up to, but he came back with a smug grin, holding a brochure of the property and a business card of the agent. He didn't say more, and he didn't need to, because I think he did something to secure a spot for this house. I felt a bit happier as he took me by the hand and we walked out feeling slightly better.

But that actually didn't stop the nerves on what was happening at the court house.

We got there half an hour later, and patiently waiting by the entrance was Hamish, he looked freshly shaved and clean cut. He was still in town for another week to settle things at the office before he went back to Chicago, something to do with proper transferring paper work or whatever, but everyone else knew he just wanted more time to say goodbye. And beside him was my Father, he looked very bothered and uncomfortable being out in public since he called it quits, becoming a full time Father to his young twins as well as Marcus and I. I was surprised he even made it all the way out here without looking as exhausted as he usually was.