4.4: The Girl's Best Friend

The following day, I planned to sleep over at Erika's place for the rest of the week. We planned to binge eat, drown ourselves in chick flicks and comfort each other because of our singledom in our 30s. A girl's time with my best friend wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since both of us need it more than ever. Plus we both needed to head to the courtrooms on Friday for her case, she didn't want to go at it alone after what's happened between her and Judge Cole, so I happily volunteered to accompany her. I couldn't blame her, it felt similar to my situation with Nathaniel, even though we didn't go the whole way like they did, and I wanted to cheer her up throughout the day-

Unfortunately, I got caught up.

Throughout the day, I was thrown into meetings, working on paper work for my Father, dealing with the junior associates and then signing off essays for the interns. Add in Dominic's lovely Parents, who have been nothing but too helpful for their problem that I was constantly bothered by them through the phone. I didn't have to ask my best friend for help as even she was buried in paper work for the New York office, the pile seemed to get higher and higher each time I walked passed, but judging from the wrinkle creased between her brows and the way she gripped onto her pen, I don't think bothering her would be the best idea.

It sucked not having Hamish around to be the second in command, but he decided to take the day off with my Father to approach Judge Cole about our current plan, even though it should have been me sitting through their meetings.

I didn't think I'd have to go ask the one person I didn't want to.

"Hey Dominic-" I knocked on the door, feeling a bit tense and nervous as my hold on the stapled document became a bit too shaky for my liking. "Can I speak with you?"

"Yes, what is it?" His hazel eyes peeked from behind the folder opened in front of his face, his fingers tapped heavily against his desk as he froze on the spot.

"I'm so stacked, and I know you wouldn't have expected this, but I'm wondering if you have some time to spare to help me."

The folder lowered down from half his face down to the desk, both hands lay flat atop of it as he gave me his full attention. I fully entered his office, my arms crossed over my chest as I stopped five to six feet from him.

"Your Parents have been nothing but helpful, but are you able to read through the recent monthly report from your Parents' business and give me a summary of it?"

"Depends-" He leaned his chin against his knuckles, his index finger grazed left and right on his lower lip. "That would mean I'd need to stay behind for an hour."

"If you can't, I understand. I'm just held up with a lot of paper work right now, but you probably would-"

"-Give it to me."

I handed him the document and watched him skim through the pages before he looked back up and said, "You owe me."

"I know."

"I'll leave it on your desk when I'm done."

"Thank you!" I accidentally said far too loudly, slightly too excited he'd help me too. I cleared my throat and excused myself, having a lighter weight at my shoulders.

That went better than I expected.

But he was the least of my worries. With a part of my work load just handed over to Dominic, I managed to spare ten minutes to finally go see my best friend. I wandered over to her office, hoping no one else could see me so they wouldn't interrupt my intention to be around my best friend since the beginning of the day. And when I finally got to my intended destination, she was still doing what I last saw her doing.