4.7: The Sly Man

In the afternoon, I took a bit of time to go to the court house with Erika, as I promised not to abandon her in her time of need. To distract her from her pending meet up with the sleazy Judge Cole, I confessed that I reluctantly accepted a date with my ex-fiancé, which undoubtedly worked without fault.

I knew my best friend that well.

"I'm actually excited for you, and I don't know why!" She exclaimed as we walked through the concrete side walk, arms linked and cups of afternoon coffee in the other. "I think it's because that dumbass finally got his senses knocked into him, and well, Annie, you deserve every bit of happiness after what you've been through."

"But I don't even think that I'm capable of getting through with this second chance."

"Don't say that. Dominic Walsh may be a dumbass, but he is no liar." She defended him, despite the insult.

The court house and rooms were as busy as always, the echoing footsteps of lawyers and convicted citizens were heard as soon as Erika and I walked right in. I took a deep breath and enjoyed the nostalgia that came from those dull colored interior of the court house, all those times as a PD were mostly spent in and out of here. There were so much memories in each and every area of the court house that I got distracted, and by the time I looked to my side, then up ahead, Erika already wandered off.

My attempts to catch up to her failed as I heard, "Holy crap, if it isn't little Lawler."

Oh geez.

Only one person in the world called me that, but that was not him. It sounded feminine.

I fully stopped in panic and turned to the side, and there sat on the bench was the pregnant, soon-to-be Mrs Walsh number three, Julia. To me, she still didn't look pregnant, and she was supposedly expecting the baby a month after the wedding. She stood up with a bit of struggle and let her belly poke out at me, her two-tone blue and black dress surely complimented the curves created by her protruding belly, but I was amazed at her ability to be able to walk in stilettos despite the extra weight on her body.

I don't know. There was something different about Julia's pregnancy that I wasn't completely convinced about. Just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Hi Julia. I didn't think you'd still be working? Aren't you supposed to be as stress free as possible? Especially with the whole wedding ordeal coming up pretty soon." I asked her out of curiosity, since I once read baby books to help out with an ex-coworker back in my PD days.

So I knew a thing or two.

"Oh, dear, yes. And Nathaniel really wants me to rest too, but I want to finish my business and not leave paperwork behind while I'm gone for a whole year," She explained as she beckoned to the folders shoved carelessly into her designer black bag.

Couldn't blame her. District Attorneys were always busy.

"I'm sure someone else could cover for you."

"Hah, and ruin my streak? It's okay."

Julia was still braggy too, so I see a long future with her and Nathaniel being together with their boy. However, I don't think it'll last too long if she found out about all the things that happened behind her back. Poor Julia.

"Anyway," I heard her clear her throat before she placed a hand on my shoulder and pouted. "I heard about you and Dominic. I'm so sorry, Lawler. I really thought you two would get married and have your own little bundles of joy running around too."

Talk about rubbing salt to the wounds.

"It's no big deal. We mutually agreed on the split."

"Still, that's ridiculous. Seven years, he put a ring on your finger but never followed through? That's just mean."