3.9: NYC - Breakdown

I woke up panting, touching myself all over and breathed heavily, I thought I lost myself from that dream. I peeked at the clock in my phone, it was a few minutes past 5 o'clock and the sun was barely out. I had another bad dream, I've woken up about three times already. Luckily, Erika slept over, she stayed up later than me to deal with something, but at least she slept beside me so I wasn't so alone. I don't know what got into me, but since the talk with Marcus, I feared for when the days passed faster and I'd be back in Los Angeles, walking through the front door and stand in front of Dominic.

I haven't thought about what to say to him and how to present the ultimatum in the most well mannered way, since right now, all I want to do is yell at his face for being such a tool. The woman who answered his phone redialled, she called me back at least two times, but I never answered either one of them. If I did, I knew my head would explode. She left a voice message though, she didn't sound familiar, nor did she sound like anyone from work. The woman didn't mention names either. Instead, she explained that Dominic left to go to the bathroom and if the call was important, I should try again in a couple of minutes.

Was she naive?

Wait... Did Dominic already change my name on his phone?

Oh the horrible thoughts kept me up. I wobbled out of the room, being as quiet as I could, and stayed in the living room, slumped on the fancy couch and let my face rest into the cushion. The velvety feeling kissed me, and it felt more inviting than a bed with my best friend - I didn't mind it, I just felt the need for comfort from the man I slept next to for four years.

There's no denying I miss Dominic, he's warm cuddles, his natural smell, and well, his presence in general. He became a big part of my life, and being in the state we were in wasn't good at all. I wanted to fix it, but no matter how much I try to think about the positives, they're quick to be replaced by the negatives of it all.

Marcus was right, an ultimatum is in order.

I spent hours on the couch, failing to stay asleep for an hour before waking up from a nightmare, which was often followed by a whimper and then tears.

By 9am, when Erika wandered out of the bedroom and found me curled into a ball right beside the coffee table, I was already on the verge of locking myself up in a secluded space all day and just cry from my own troubles. Her attempts to make me spill the beans were all failures, she cried with me on the tenth attempt and we settled to drink up and eat chocolate for most of the morning - courtesy of the room service at Lawler & Walsh law firm's expense. With my best friend sucked into my downward spiral, she turned off her phone and joined me in the last day I'd be free from the reality waiting for me in Los Angeles, I no longer felt lonely.

And fortunately for the both of us, Hamish happily covered our asses and took up the time to follow Judge Cole around at the second to last inspection of the New York office, and he sarcastically sent updates with matching smiley faces and cuss words to fit his mood.

"It's not bad to drink before midday, right?"

I put down the third empty bottle of wine and leaned on Erika's shoulder, her blond hair partially covered my face as I mumbled, "Not today, boo. This is like a pass."

"I feel bad dumping my job onto Hame." She slurred her words, but I managed to put two and two together. "I'm going to be a partner and be head of office, Annie! I never saw it coming!" She excitedly flicked her fingers into the air.

"We need to thank someone for it."

"You know who we should call to thank?"

"Who?"

"Dominic!"

"What are you talking about? Why Dominic? He didn't do anything!" I instantly frowned at the sound of his name. "That asshole- He's a good for nothing- You know what, when I get back to LA, I'm going to end everything!"