― six : care

"So did your dad inform your mom ?" Hana asked two days later

"He did." Yujin replied, taking out her notebook.

"What did she say ?"

"Was disappointed though didn't express it. Don't ask me about it anymore. I'm tired as fuck" Yujin sighed as she scribbled down words on the page.

"Hey, what's up with him now" Hana asked again, staring at the notes.

"It's been four weeks since I've been affected. I don't know what to do about it. Pills seem to hardly pose any effect now. It hurts everyday" Yujin paused her pen and turned to her friend. Hana hugged her and patted her head.

"But why aren't you opting for the surgery ?"

"It's expensive, Hana. Commoners cannot afford such things. It's the harsh reality and what if I do opt for it ? You have no guarantee that I'll survive."

"Hey, shut up, don't say things like that. You'll be fine. And you can always ask for help from me. I'm always here." Hana smiled softly. Yujin smiled back at her, knowing very well that she would not have asked her for help.

"hey, jinnie"

Him again. Why does she keep on encountering him throughout the day ? It's not like they have classes on the same floor, but still he finds a way to be with her.

"Hey, Hee"

"Jinnie, what's wrong, you seem different, did I hurt you?"

No you didn't.

"Don't keep things from me, you know I'm here for you"

No Heeseung, you won't understand.

"Jinie, please don't distance yourself from me"

I'm trying not to, Heeseung.

"Hee, do you want to grab an ice cream?" Yujin smiled at him, completely ignoring his words.

Heeseung was quite amused by the sudden change but nevertheless decided to go with the flow.

"I-i'm not after school, Jinie.... sorry" he said, feeling quite guilty.

"Oh" Yujin replied, half-heartedly. "No worries, tell me when you have time"

"I'm sorry, Jinnie" He said but Yujin didn't really mind. It's not like having ice-cream with him would change her life.

Yujin didn't feel the urge to go back home. She had informed her father that she'd come home late and now she was bored. It wasn't really nighttime and since it was a full moon, the streets were quite lit with the moonlight.

She wondered what she had done wrong to have something like hanahaki. Sometimes she felt like it was all Heeseung's fault but then, what had he actually done wrong ?

It was her after all, who had fallen for him.

She sat alone on the bench in the park, fiddling with her fingers. She crumbled the yellow petals on her lap and stood up with a burst of anger. She threw the flowers hastily and crouched down back again. Burying her face into her lap, she let out warm tears wondering about what had gone wrong.

Would she be able to confess her love to him ? Will he ever reciprocate it back ? Her life wasn't a fairytale....But then, Heeseung had always treated her well. They'd visited museums, cafés, done trips, just like partners do.... so.... so can't they just be partners ?Can their fate have some mercy ? She didn't know the answer to these...all she knew was that she needed to confess. So she decided, she would confess.

"J-jinie..."

Heeseung ? Why are you always there when I need comfort ? She thought to herself and looked up.

There he stood, his hood covering his face partly yet he looked serene. He held onto his bicycle and stared into her eyes deeply.

"Jinie, were you crying ?" Heeseung said and hastily kept his bicycle aside and sat down on the bench. He pulled her closer and hugged her.

"Is everything okay at home ?"

"I feel like nothing's going right, Hee...what should I do ?" Yujin said and sobbed softly. She felt embarrassed and flustered at the same time.

"Hey, it's okay, Jinie, everything will be okay, these hard times will also pass away" he said as he patted her back.

She stayed silent for a few minutes. He stood up and smiled at her, "wait here"

Heeseung didn't come back for the next fifteen minutes and Yujin wondered where he had gone. She couldn't leave as well because his bicycle was still there and she was still slightly embarrassed about the emotional outburst. What hurt the most was that she had to lie to him because she couldn't afford to tell him the truth.

When Heeseung returned, he carried two ice-creams with him.

"See, I kept my promise, ms.slow-eater" Heeseung chuckled.

Yujin pouted as she continued to complete her ice-cream. For a fact that she knew was that he cared for her. He was her comfort place. He was an important part of her little world.

"Hee, you look nervous, is something wrong ?" Yujin said.

The two of them walked on the sidewalk.

"Uh.... There's something I need to confess, Jinie" he said. "You're first person I'll be telling this"

Was it really happening ? Was he really confessing ?No...it couldn't be real.

"Uh, hee, even I have something to say" she said, wishing she'd be accepted by him.

"Oh, okay, go on" Heeseung said with a smile.

"Hey no, you say it first" Yujin snapped.

"Uh―but you can go on" Heeseung hesitated.

Yujin smiled. Finally her heart would be light. Heeseung smiled to himself. Then they said....

"I like Hana"

"I like you"