026.

026. | LOVERS AND MURDERERS

"So what are you going to do with it?" Iris asks.

"Do with what, darling?" Kol turns to her.

"It." she points.

"Ah. You mean the white-oak stake." he smiles. "Just holding it for safe keeping. Now that I have it, I know I won't die."

Iris nods before quickly vamp speeding over to him and grabbing the stake. She trips him and climbs on top of his lap, angling the wood at his heart. "Now you're dead."

Kol grabbed it and flipped the two over, angling the stake at her heart. "Now you're dead."

Iris smiles before turning the two over. She grabs the stake and throws it across the room before connecting the two's lips. Kol places his hands on Iris's ass as they continue to make out.

Iris pulls away and looks down at the boy underneath her, a small smile playing at her lips as she pushes a few strands of hair out of his face.

"What is it?" Kol asks as he moves one hand up to her waist.

"I love you." she says quietly, barely above a whisper.

"I love you too, Iris Gilbert." he tangled his hand in her hair and pulled her down on his chest, hugging her comfortingly. "More than you know."

Iris turns and kisses his cheek. "I'm sleepy, but I don't want to move."

"Go to sleep then, darling. I'm not going anywhere." Kol reassured her. "I'm right here."

Iris smiles before fixing herself on top of him. It didn't take her long, but her soft snores began to fill Kol's ears and a wave of happiness fell over the boy at the quiet noises.

He loved looking at Iris sleep because she looked so innocent and vulnerable, but he didn't know how long that innocence would last. It was obvious she was changing and becoming more open to the thought of killing.

Kol didn't know if that was a good thing or not because he did his fair share of killing, but Iris never did. He didn't know if he was ready for that change.

So, he took in the small, caring, innocent, little moments like these. He didn't know when the girl would fade into the dark abyss, but he knew it was soon, and he was a little terrified.

"Sun's up. They're long gone." Jeremy says.

Small, faded veins appeared under the Gilbert girl's eyes as she watched Elena clean the blood from Matt's neck. She wasn't craving blood like she used to, and she could thank that to Kol.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Elena asks as Damon walks into the room. "All I asked you to do was teach him how to fight."

"He's not the best student in the world." Damon said.

"Wait. Now this is my fault?" Jeremy asks.

"No." Iris told him. "1000% Damon's fault."

"Look, I know you guys are angry, but my way was the easiest, fastest, and safest way to complete his mark to get you the cure." Damon explains.

"Safest?" Iris asks as she points to Matt's neck and Damon shrugs.

"I don't care about the cure, Damon, not if it means putting the people that I love in danger." Elena argues.