𝟤

—

A loud screeching sound echoed from outside my window. Looking over my shoulder in curiosity, I couldn't see anything through the frost coating the glass. I stood with furrowed eyebrows and tried to wipe it off. Though obviously, it hadn't worked, as the frost was outside. Only condensation got stuck to my hand.

It happened again, and I began to feel worried. What could be making such a horrid sound?

I walked into my bathroom, the window in there fogged up as well, making me unable to see what was going on.

I stepped up to my bedroom door, worry and curiosity taking over my actions as I knocked on it. "Rocco?" I called out.

No answer.

"Rocco, what's going on outside? Do you hear that?"

No answer.

Why wasn't he answering—

The door pushed open, revealing two out of three of the guards I met yesterday. As I remembered, they were Elijah and Alessandro. I wondered if Matteo was with Elliot. They were breathtaking, once again. I felt guilty for thinking this way when I had a fiancé.

"Oh," I breathed. Caught by their intimidating, scary stares again. "Sorry, I thought Rocco was—"

"You're not allowed out until Elliot comes to get you, no?" Elijah asked. Alessandro just didn't say anything. Just stared. Scarily.

"No, but do you hear that noise—"

I was cut off by the screeching sound again. Holding an index finger up in the air, I gestures for the two to listen carefully. When it stopped, I took the silence to speak again, "Did you hear that?"

"Alessandro will go look," Elijah said. As I saw him readying to close the door, I spoke again to stop him.

"Wait— but one of you aren't supposed to leave, remember?" I asked. The two shared a glance, Alessandro with a stoned, almost scowl-like expression. He looked angry, was he angry? "I can go look—"

"No."

"But I know my way around, I just want to go see if—"

"No," Elijah cut me off again, the slightest bit of an extra sternness in his tone. "You will not be let out of your room alone."

"You can come with me," I responded. I just wanted to get out of these four walls, maybe go outside and see the snow. I couldn't remember the last time I had seen snow, though it always amazed me. The fluffy, white snowflakes were so beautiful to my eyes. "Please?"

As I stood there silently, patiently waiting for one of them— probably Elijah— to say something, they shared a second glance. Alessandro's jaw clicked, a glare spread across his eyes. Elijah finally looked back to me, meeting my hopeful eyes.