All That Glitters.

Please read with the embedded music <3.

The next morning, I awake to a warm ray of sunlight gently toasting the length of my face. Stretching, I pull the covers up and snuggle against the soft material, as the events from last night come streaming back to me like a river after a storm. Only one word can come to mind as memories of me prowling across the dining table crash down on me like a powerful wave: Embarrassing.

Turning in bed, I almost jump out of my skin at the sight of a peacefully resting Valentine. I'd forgotten I'd asked him to stay and...he actually did.

His long eyelashes cast gracefully soft shadows against his tight, pale skin. His strong jaw twitches ever so subtly as the filtering sunlight seeping into the room casts gray lines along his smooth neck. The morning rays play on his skin, like a dancing illusion while the usual brooding darkness under his eyes seem to ease under the kiss of the Olympus sun as he peacefully dozes off. Unlike his snowy hair, his full dark brows etch slightly together above his resting eyes, as those same two strands caress the length of his forehead. He looks...handsome. So devastatingly so.

As all the gods did. Unflawed, and forever embalmed in a glowing aurora that shamelessly marked both their presence and power. A gentle reminder.

Tracing the outline of his near-hollowed cheek down to his reddened lips, I allow myself to take advantage of the sight before me; This calmed state that had seemed to be ever so fleeting during the course of these last 5 years. Traveling down to the straight line of black runes tattooed onto the side of his pale neck, I urge my gaze to roam over each of the starkly contrasted Greek symbols. Almost itching to reach out and touch them. To trace their delicate little lines and curves.

As my eyes continue their shameless journey down, they are stopped by the sight of his chest peeking through the small opening of his white tunic. His hard muscles shimmy under the near-translucent material, and my core slightly stirs at the sight.

Two bright gems of amethyst glisten in my peripherals, sending me into a fit of uneasiness and regret.

"Glad to see your headache has worn off" he states calmly, his translucent iris eyes seeming to almost see right through me. Turning away, I clear my throat as I prepare to fling the heavy duvet from my body and pounce out of bed. My cheeks flare like a shy teenager caught obsessing over a school crush, as he reaches a strong hand out and grasps my arm before I can rise.

"Off so soon?" he muses at my flushed reaction. Heat creeps further onto my cheeks as I try to pry myself from his iron grasp. "I'm fine." I scowl at him as his tight grip keeps me fastened to the bed.

He briefly hesitates for a moment before holding my regard again. His violet orbs traverse my face as if in search for something. As if he knows what he wants to say, just looking for the right way to say it. Knowing that feeling all too well, I finally sigh and drop my front. "I'm sorry about last night" I mutter ashamed, my shoulders slightly drooping in turn. Shifting from his position in the bed, Valentine scoots towards me and takes my face into both of his strong hands. Lifting until my gaze once again, meets his.

"No really, I should've listened when-" I begin but he gently tugs my face closer, completely interrupting my train of thought.

"Lillith-" he cuts.

I quiet, as I stare back up into his desperate regard. "I want you to know..." he begins trailing off, but gathering his determination once more, he continues. "I want you to know that everything I said last night, I meant" he breathes, a hint of exasperation to his tone. "I don't want to fight with you. I want nothing more than to protect you. Than to love you" he finishes.

His gentle words swoon me and the sincerity across his features calms my fluttering nerves. Something twinges at my heart and my barriers come crashing down around me.

"Me neither" I shakily reply, evaporating into his warmth as he draws me into a tight embrace.

Along with the silent remorse that twinges at my chest, a small bit of hope also sneaks its way in. Hope that somehow, Valentine has actually, finally changed. In this moment, being in his arms...it seems right. It seems...the same way it did 5 years ago. All the painful flashbacks of his rage and destruction melting from every crook as he exhales deeply into my hair.

In this moment, I think I just may have found my solace once more. The faintest hope of us possibly rekindling our relationship skitters in the back of my mind. A fleeting thought I begin to realize however, as I angle my neck to face the rubied promised etched into my collarbone, still staring right back at me. Almost like it was silently mocking me, rolling its eyes at my audacious hallucinations.