Just Smile.

Please read with the music.

It has been a whole week since I've had dinner with Hades. He's been absolutely avoiding me, and I can't say I'm not grateful for it. I only ever catch glimpse of him sneaking into his chained office or brisk walking his way through the decadently somber halls, never once so much as sparing a glance in my direction. 

I too have refrained from any more outbursts and have instead opted for keeping an extremely low profile. After what happened in my chambers the other evening, I don't think I could ever be the same. Some part of me broke that night. Truly broke. How could I marry such a man?

As more and more pieces of my life before my accident come up rather blank, my curiosity and frustration only grow stronger and with it, my suspicion. Too many questions had been left unanswered and the will to seek them out had been slowly dwindling.

Throughout this time however, Violetta has been keeping me quite the company, for the most part. We've even made our own routine of her telling me stories about the underworld, the history of the palace, and practically everything else below the stars. She'd always grow quiet anytime I tried to pry into anything related to myself...or Hades, quickly becoming master at the art of deflection. I didn't blame her though. I myself was no stranger to the extent of his wrath and I could only imagine what that fear must look like for her, given his track record for treating palace staff like less than.

I glance over to her neatly bundled hair- never a strand out of place, as she grabs another soft linen, gently folding it and placing it on the bed. She'd even begun absentmindedly humming to herself as she worked her way through the basket of laundry. I study the soft lines on her face, the only telltale signs of a collection of years' worth of care and experience. For her age, she looked impeccable, the creases between her brows giving her a rather graceful and nurturing look. She'd been the closest thing to motherly connection I'd experienced these past weeks, not once being able to remember anything of my own mother.

I'd tried asking about my parents a couple times already. Each and every instance always resulted in uncomfortable glances towards the doors and an abrupt change of topic. Almost as if at any moment Hades would burst in and take our heads for discussing anything related to family. I don't know why, but as the days drew on, I was beginning to feel more and more like a prisoner. Of my own castle.

I smile fondly at Violetta, stirring some conversation to avoid feeding the void of sadness that had grown in my chest. "You must really enjoy working at the palace then?" The skin around her youthful eyes crinkle lightly as her smile widens. "Oh well, I can't exactly say I dislike it" she says light-heartedly before briefly glancing towards the door. My reaction to her insecurity does not go unnoticed as she briefly tightens her lips before pushing out a gentle sigh.

Resting the sheet she'd been folding down against the bed, she fumbles with her hands a bit before allowing herself to continue.

"The king he's- he can be easily misunderstood at times" She looks down at her entwined fingers before continuing. "His story is a sad one, and I feel for the pain he keeps locked within. Your highness- if it will you. Give him time. Give him patience." She offers a sad, pained smile as her gaze meets mine again. Somehow despite the colossal feelings of distrust and fear built up against him, this tugs at my heart. Not only because it's out of her nature to actually speak about him, but also because of the fervor and sincerity in her eyes as she vouches for his honor. Even despite his menacing, cold tendencies.

I offer her a small smile in return. "I take this as a serious thing, especially coming from you. I carry so much respect and love for you. You're almost like...a mother to me. And for that, I thank you." Tears threaten to spring to the brim of my eyes, but I quickly suppress them.

I can tell my words warm her heart as her once sullen smile quickly reverses itself. I see hope between her eyes and it makes me want to cry even more. "Speaking of which- do you remember what I told you last week about the underworld holding many beautiful secrets? Well one of those wonders I think you'd enjoy is the Garden of Thorns."

A brief vision of rose paintings hanging from decadent blue walls wills itself into my brain, it's images too hazy for me to understand its meaning. Brushing it off, I watch as Violetta gathers the last of the cloths and tucks it into her bin, readying to exit. "I think the young master has been in better spirits today. I can ask his highness if it will him to allow me to take you on a tour. Would you like that?" she grins radiantly.

Though the prospect of being outside and getting some air was rather enthralling, my moral has been severely tested these last several weeks and my excitement doesn't quite skyrocket as high as it normally should've. The gleam in Violetta's eyes however shine so much they reflect the lights of the boudoir. How could I say no? "I would love that very much." I beam back, forcing as much enthusiasm into my voice as I can. "Perfect. I will see what I can do." With that, she winks and retreats out of the room.

I had no idea how'd he'd react, I doubt he'd even care to be quite honest. It seems more than anything, he wanted me out of his hair judging by how insistently he'd been avoiding me.

The wheel of time spins on as I remain posted on my bed, awaiting her return.