Silence.

For full experience, readers are encouraged to read with music.

After a moment too long, instincts finally kick in, and my elbow launches for his face. I know I shouldn't, but a combination of fear and anger have completely clouded my senses and suppressed all reasoning. As expected, the blow never lands. My arm never even makes it off my lap.

My thought remains just so, as his electricity subdues any and all forms of defiance away from my mind. It was what he did best.

His eyes bore into mine as a loud strike of thunder outside warns me of his decrease in temper. No doubt, fueled by my failed attempt to hit him. "Is this how you greet your husband?" he booms. My hand remains stuck to my lap as small electrical currents dance across the surface of my skin. I know he won't hurt me, but his bolts and the threat they held have never failed to terrify me.

The raging storm outside worsens while his heat continues to fill the room. Thinking back to the scattered restaurant around us, I can't help but wonder how many lives he's taken tonight as result of his rage. In preparation for our...reunion.

One by one, the memories come flooding back to me. Memories of exactly what Valentine was capable of. Proof of this etched onto Henry's paralyzed face, not too far behind me. Along with them, they also resurface a year's worth of pent-up resentment.

"I am not your wife!" I spit at his dark boots, my chest heaving in anticipation as I glare at him.

He stares down at me silently, only fueling my frustration. Tilting his head to the side, his eyes slowly travel down to my lips. Licking his own in response, he smirks taunting me again. "You look so delicious when you quiver in my hands like that" he rasps showing me his bright teeth.

At this, I reach my breaking point.

"I hate you, Valentine! You have brought me nothing but pain and despair! Ruining my life wasn't enough for you? I wish I never--"

"SILENCE" he commands as my lips skew shut in an unnatural, forced obedience. Determined, I keep going in my mind, knowing he can still hear my thoughts.

"I hate you so much, I will never fucking--" And that's when I feel it.
The sharp pain from earlier seeps further into my temple, growing stronger and stronger. The switching of his once dilated pupils to a stormy dark violet pulls my attention to the lone, icy tear rolling down his cheek.

"I love you" is the last thing that echoes in the back of my mind before his darkness completely consumes me—His eyes never once leaving my face.