Vice. (pt.2)

Hey!
      Thank you guys for being patient with me and hope you are all staying safe! Enjoy! 🎵

                                        *
     I listen to the soft sounds of rainfall from outside of the mud cave. I rest my back against the wall, my eyes never once leaving the 'man' also sitting, across from me.

      "So if you're a god...how come you aren't like, you know...", I trail off gesturing.

      "How come I'm not in the sky?" he snickers, running a hand through his fizzy, platinum hair.

      "...Well.. yeah", I sigh, rubbing my temple to ease the dull headache that was gripping me. I have just woken back up after what felt like hours. I am grateful he'd caught me, so the residing headache is a much better fate than what I would've met had I fainted to the ground.

      "And how do you always know what I'm going to say? You've done that twice now", I quiz again, parting my lips.

      He stays silent for a minute, his eyes sweeping over my face in a fond stare.

    He finally answers:

      "As god of the sky, I am the most powerful of my family. I can read the thoughts of mortals. I can also speak to them- well you, through what we call a 'mind-link'. Each of the 12 original lords can do it."

      "Like that weird voice I heard in the back of my mind earlier?" I ask leaning in.

     Yes, echoes his voice in my mind again.

      I lean back in both astonishment and disbelief.

      "And as to why I am here...", he continues then pauses in deep thought.

      "Please, go on," I urge him. "I won't tell a soul if you don't want me to", I assure him.

      His eyes find mine again as he lets out a sigh.

      "As lord of the sky, I also have very demanding and exhausting duties to protect my kingdom."

      "Sometimes it can also get a little...lonely", he lets out, our eyes never breaking contact.

      I say nothing, as I listen.

      He continues, "Sometimes I just come down to the mortal realm to...escape".

...escape?
...escape.

*

      I awake with a jolt and sit up in the slim, medical bed. I peer around at the darkness trying to make out my surroundings.
      This is it. I am in the infirmary.

      My plan had worked. But now, what exactly was I looking for? I had no idea. I just knew it was connected to his 'office'.

      I make out the faint outline of the door right across from the bed. One glance at the heavily chained hinges accompanied by another huge padlock quickly confirms my target. That was quick.

     To my right, resting on the table, are assorted medical herbs and a goblet of water.

      I finish scanning around, taking everything in. The room is completely deserted.
      Though I am alone now, it may not be for much longer. It is now or never.

     I gather my wits and quickly pull myself off of the bed. My body still feels slightly weak from trying to poison myself earlier, but I could get the strength coming back to my bones.

      I trek over to the iron door and run my fingers over the cool metal. Reaching down into my dress, I pull out the thorned rose I had successfully plucked from the garden.
      Shutting my eyes for a moment, I let out a deep breath.

      'I pray the heavens, this works', I whisper.

      Grabbing the padlock in one hand, I stick the stem of the stiff rose, into the lock.

      I move and jerk the rose, desperately around.

      Minutes go by, and I am seconds away from giving up when the padlock finally clicks and slides down to the ground, the large, heavy chains following. A wave of relief washes over me as I wrench open the heavy door.

      I am greeted by a dark room illuminated by a glowing red light. In the far corner lies a familiar-looking operation table.
      On another end however, I spot something bizarre. Resting atop one of the iron tables, is a tiny, shiny tiara.

      I pad into the room and over to the table. Lying next to the tiara is a soiled, teal-colored robe.
      I pick up the dress and examine it. One glance at the size of the garment, and I can tell it is mine. It seems to be from a very long time ago.

      I drop the dress onto the floor and reach for the tiara. A small, teal-crystal creation.
      There is a single gem of amethyst encrusted into the point of the jewelry. I pick it up and run my fingers over the smooth, precious stone.

      Why are these here?, I think to myself.
    ...And why do they match the ones worn by the strange figure that keeps appearing to my dreams?

      My brain tries helplessly and fails to come up with a solid explanation. There are too many questions circling my mind.

      I stow the tiara away in my dress and take one more look around. This place is starting to give me chills.

     I begin to quietly turn back and leave.

     Before I can however, a small, battered scroll resting on the table catches my attention.
      It has an ancient look of importance and officially to it. Plucking it from its spot atop the table, I take care to gently unravel the delicate piece of paper.

      In its flat form, it resembles more like a page torn out of a bigger collection. A book of some sort.

     At first glance, the scripture appears to be in some weird language I don't ever recall learning. I allow my eyes to dwell over the symbols anyways.
      I feel chills go through my spine as I realize halfway through skimming the writing, that my brain has made perfect sense of everything I have read so far.

      Weird. I think to myself as I keep reading.
      When I reach the bottom of the scroll, my brain is in thrown in shambles.
       I am doused in hysteria as I process the translation of the ancient text. It seems like a prophecy of some sort.

      It reads:

————————————————————
   There once a king lived high above,
His fairness governed like a dove,
   But one curse wrong and one curse right,
His lordship makes a choice so tight.

   Two heirs born to kingdom light,
But only one will shine so bright,
   For eldest's heart bare hate so dark,
A danger to the heavens' mark.

A mortal love forbidden so,
Will torment both and fester foe.
   A price shall pay, to save the day,
The dark one cast and whisked away.

   Be weary of this twisted tale,

Should sky prince lose light, Olympus will fail.

————————————————————