Epilgoue: Break My Little Cold Heart.

EPILOGUE

The gleaming dagger lodges itself right into Hades' heart as he lets out a piercing, echoing cry. Tears spring to my eyes full force as my trembling body slides to the ground.
I weep and weep.

I cry out as I watch Hades' eyes open wide with shock and bewilderment. He sinks down on one knee and gazes at me confused.
He clutches the dagger in his chest, the pain so effervescently visible on his face. I look over at a shocked Valentine, before returning my gaze to the sight on the throne. His expression has turned into a blood-curling, defeated smirk.

What have I done...

He lets out a low snort, in realization, as a trail of blood oozes down his chin.

He sputters:

"Well by you.", he manages to get out, wincing.

"You've got me."

"It is true. I told you to drive my precious dagger through Your Lover's Heart",

"I s-suppose the joke is on me f-for never s-saying which one", he adds with a pained chuckle.

"Well played...My  Lover",

I feel a burning sensation in my gut as my betrayal shines bright on my face. As red as the cloak through which I pierced him.

My Lover.

He gives another chuckle followed by a sickened cough.

His shiny eyes find mine again.

All the while, I am keenly aware of Valentine registering the situation, beside me.

I feel the anger pooling from him.

I feel the heat of his building rage.

Hades coughs again and continues,

"And all t-this time... I thought I knew y-your heart", he stammers out as he spits more blood onto the alter.

"...It turns out...neither did you"

"Cease your lies!", hisses Valentine to his wounded brother.

At this Hades only grins, his blood-soaked mouth pulling at its corners.

"W-why don't you ask her?", he sneers back, coughing up even more blood.

Valentine's gaze shifts over and one look down at me later, He knows.

"Deny It", he says to me calmly. Sternly.

I press my sweaty palms flat against the floor as I sob to the ground, drowning in my own secrets.

I feel exposed.

Sick.

But above all, sorrowed.

Sorrowed that I am unable to deny anything he has said, even though I am fully devoid of all his control.

"You will never cease to amaze me, sweet Lillith", is the last thing Hades manages out before being engulfed by a fluorescent, bright light.

I cover my eyes from the searing luminosity. When I uncover them, Hades is nowhere to be found. A bloody throne the only evidence of his presence there just moments ago.

I look back over to Valentine.

A growing feeling of guilt builds up in the pit of my stomach.

I don't know what to say to him, so I say nothing.

He just continues to stare down at me, betrayal evident in his hurt expression.

After a moment he speaks:

"Will you then deny, that you love me, Lillith"", he hisses pained.

"N-no! I've always loved you Valentine. No matter how much it hurt. I always have...and I always will", I plead tasting the salty stream of tears cascading down my face.

He says nothing, waiting for the rest of my answer, though he already knows.

I can feel the air growing colder around us as I look up at him. Unable to bear myself, I look down as I admit in defeat:

"But I love...I love him too".

I look back up to him sheepishly.

What I see chills me to the bone.

The look in his eyes.

I can sense a great darkness slowly seeping into his soul, as his heart grew colder and colder by the minute.

The sight before me however, dishes me a petrifying awareness:

The prophecy was quite far from over.

A huge, dark storm continues to swell outside, engulfing everything in its path. Trees are tossed into the air like mere tissues. Shrubs are ripped from their roots and flung around.

I look back up at Valentine and notice how his usual soft-glow begins to diminish, turning into something else. His irises slowly shade to a color I have never seen them possess before: black.

"Valentine", I warn cautiously.

His eyes only darken to the shade of midnight in response, as the storm outside worsens.
The roots of his hair begin to churn into a dark-shade, running through his hair as if banishing it's usual powder-white shade.

I look outside at the chaos continuing to unfold.

It was all making sense now.

The last line.

The warning.

It was not referring to the crown at all.

Should sky prince lose light, Olympus will fail

When I look back up at the sight before me, His figure emanated a glow so dark, it crowded out what seldom light remained in the room.

His hair was now darker than a raven's claw, save for one thin, lone strand that remained snow-white, caressing his forehead.

"Valentine?", I warn again.
If he heard me, he doesn't show it.
He is cold and unmoving. His own darkness consuming him by the minute.

The prophecy keeps echoing in my head.

Should sky prince lose light, Olympus will fail...

At the sight, the remainder of Hades' palace guards start rushing towards us shouting.

"Halt", they cry in their gruesome voices, arming themselves and drawing their weapons.

Despite this, Valentine's eyes never leave me.

The guards are rapidly approaching, but they never get within a feet of us. Abruptly, they all come to an unnatural, immediate stop...as if taken over.

Should sky prince lose light, Olympus will fail...

I watch mortified as each guard drops their weapon. Then abruptly and in unison, they all kneel down with an extreme, inhuman-like grace.

Ready to pledge their lives.

...To their new king.

Even without a crown, he remains every bit as terrifying.

Hades couldn't take the sky prince's light...

I look up at his cold, empty eyes.

...because I already had.

Valentine.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें