The Coronation.

This is it. Grab some popcorn. This is NOT going to be a light chapter.
Thank you all for all the encouragement and support.
On that note, probably grab some headphones and allow yourself to be transported for this one too ;).

The next morning I am visited by Hades in my chambers.

He finds me immediately.

I open my mouth to speak but he holds his hand up cutting me off.

Then he begins:

"Tonight at the ceremony, You will see your Lover. I will release you and you will go to him, as part of honoring our...bargain".

I look up at him hopefully, but the look he returns quickly dispels all thoughts of hope.

"When you do...you will kiss him", He flinches as he says this, his jaw still set tense and his eyes bearing full contempt.

"You will kiss him like it's the last time you will ever get the chance. Like there is to be no tomorrow", he grits out, his eyes cold and brooding.

"You will kiss him as...you once kissed me". He pauses and cups his hand to my cheek.

His pupils dilate as he bores his eyes into mine.

A certain dizziness begins to overtake me as I notice the tiny sparks traveling up his hand and dancing onto my cheek.
They don't hurt, but I fear the next thing he says will...
More than a dozen-fold of his electricity ever could.

His lips draw closer to my ear.
I feel a smooth, cool metal being slipped into my hand.
I shudder, surprised.

His voice drops to a cruel whisper:
"You will drive this dagger through your lover's heart".

My stomach sinks.
Once again, I feel that familiar urge to throw up. My shaking hands come up to plead but they are seized mid-air.

He hesitates for a moment, before slowly letting out:
"It is only then, that my curse on you, will be forever omitted. I shall be forever barred from seizing your mind. So let this be my last command."
"To that I, Hades, Ruler of the Underworld, first son of Kronos, seal my oath to you, Lillith of the mortal realm", he swears.

In this instant I briefly remember another one of the sacred ordinances:

Proclamation # 19: A lord shall forever be bound to his royal oath.

"Consider it Mercy", he adds again.
"...Something I am not used to."

He gives me one last mulling look before turning away and departing.

I collapse to the ground the minute he leaves.

"NO!" I cry to the door.

I take off the thin circlet resting atop my head and thrust it towards the door. The delicate jewelry, which naturally should've shattered, simply bounces off and lands gracefully on the floor.

I don' t know how long I've been laying on the floor. Crying. Restless. Hopeless.

I sniff and cry some more.

How was I ever going to forgive myself?

I cry and cry until I can't cry anymore.

Sorrow consumes me as day breaks into nightfall.
Still, I lay there. Powerless.

     No less a queen, yet still the more so powerless.

Some hours later a few servants escorted by several guards, have come to prepare and retrieve me.

I sit in front of the vanity as the servants add the last finishing touches to my hair and makeup. One of them reaches into a box and draws out my tiara.
My eyes water again at the sight of it.

How sick., I think to myself, as she plops in onto my head.

The finishing touch.

I stare at my reflection in the mirror.

Horrendously beautiful.

Dangerously beautiful.

I reach down into my dress and run my fingers over the smooth, concealed cutlass.

I will more tears to come, but I'm afraid I have exhausted them.

*****