Garden of Thorns.

Music 🎵

Several hours later, I am pulled from my thoughts by the sounds of Violetta's soft knocking coming from my door. Clasping my hands together, I am quick to respond: "Please, do come in."

She gently lets herself in and pads over to my bed. Smiling, she peers up at me and asks, "Your highness, I think the gardens are looking lovely today. Perfect for a quick tour?" she winks. I smile widely at her excitement and gracefully sneak my arms around her.

"Thank you so much Violetta. You are far too thoughtful and kind." Nodding, her eyes dance with excitement as she returns the embrace before pulling away.

"So, he said yes after all" I wonder aloud, surprised. "Yes" echoes the deep voice from across the boudoir.

Hades is leaning against the open-door frame, one leg crossed over the other. He wears slacks the color of midnight accompanied by a black evening shirt that hangs a few notches unbuttoned at the collar. His sculpted arms are tucked into his pockets, and hair is tied back in a smooth bun. Almost as neat as Violetta's.

His collected demeanor almost gives in to a carefree air about him. We silently stare at each other, neither of us saying a word to the other. After a moment too long, Violetta clears her throat and finally speaks. "Well, your highness, we better get going. There's a lot I would like to show you-"

"On second thought, I can take her from here. You are dismissed" Hades cooly interjects. Violetta slightly hesitates at the sudden shift in energy before curtsying and silently making her way to the door. She throws me one last tender smile as she exits, leaving us alone. This was not at all what I had been expecting. Especially considering the effort he'd been putting into ignoring me the past week.

I remain glued to my perched position atop the mattress, even moments after she leaves, my mind reeling back to the last time we were together in this room. Brief flashbacks of the scarlet trail left by the frail woman invade my thoughts as I stare down into my lap. I still feel timid and weary around him, and the magnitude of his temper remains a constant warning as I seize his figure in my peripheral.

"Or would you prefer to continue sitting there and mugging me?" he breathes into the silence. I turn to face him, and our gazes immediately lock. Before I can even think of the words to say, he pushes himself off the wall and stands firm. Adjusting his collar, he interjects. "My understanding is that we have a garden to go marvel at?" A cool sarcasm laces his tone and it's just enough to loosen the knot of tension in the air.

"I believe so" I retort appreciatively before shuffling off the bed. As I am sliding into my slippers, he holds his arm out to me. "Shall we madam?" he snorts playfully. The smallest hint of a smile graces his face and I struggle to conceal my shock. The Hades that stands before me now seems like an entirely new man and this side of him, I'm not sure I've ever gotten the pleasure to meet.

Snaking my arm around his, I return his gesture of good humor. "Yes, we shall Monsieur" I smile coyly.

He carefully leads me out of the room and through the long corridors. I hold onto him as I observe the usual sentries marching about in their uncannily perfect unison, combating distant feelings of suffocation.

As he pulls me further down the hall, the huge doors stationed at the end of the corridor quickly come into view. Floor-to-ceiling panes of stained red glass lay nestled between the sturdy iron frames.

Two armed guards approach, making laborious work of releasing a series of latches and triggers directly connected to the stronghold hinges adorning the edges of both frames. The magnificent contraption finally creaks as it releases, giving way to one of the most single beautiful scenes I have ever set my sights upon.