Don't Hold Your Breath.

Please enjoy with the music for the maximum experience.

The rest of the evening, I spend trying to avoid Valentine as much as I possibly can. Sorrow and regret claw their way through me for the duration of the night as I spend my time helplessly wandering the old halls and retracing the castle.

As I descend the grand staircase leading from the upstairs chambers down into the main foyer, I am met with the discouraging sight of roughly 50 guards, no less than I expected, posted in pairs in front of the various doorways and entries. Not that Valentine was incapable of keeping me in check all on his own, but he was a busy man. Someone had to keep watch over the goods while he was away.

The only places I have been cleared to access, upon his strict orders, were to be the main foyer, dining hall, our chambers, and under special permission and tight supervision; the courtyard.

Despite all that happened within its walls, the Sky palace was a beautiful, beautiful place. With north of 100 different rooms, chambers, vaults, and halls, the castle was every bit a marvel as it was colossal. The airy foyer is encased by blue-tinted glass walls that tower up into a seemingly endless ceiling, whose constant shimmering never fails to give away the abundant adornment of amethyst gems littering its hollows.

As I stand here scanning the palace, I can't help but remember how sometimes I would calmly stare up at the arched roof and pretend I was still down on Earth instead, peering up into an endless cloud on a rainy summer day. A peaceful one. How the glimmering invitingness of the plafond would transport me back to a distant time when life was so simple and I could still afford to content myself with basking in the privilege of my own naivety.

Now, it was painfully clear escape would not be so easy an option as it had been the first time. Before I had had his trust to work off of. Now? Not so much. Any sense of fight I may have built up since my return completely dissipates into the air as I allow my gaze to run over the countless sentries in their shimmering armor, each and every one of their faces stoic and unwavering.

Exhaling in defeat, I deflate a bit as I offer the nearest footmen a graceful curtsy in peace and acknowledgement. After all, they were only following orders. No matter how blindly. No matter how unjust and ridiculous said orders were. No matter how infuriating and suffocating their presence made me feel. As the curtsy goes unreturned, I have to keep reminding myself that they were only doing their duties...

After all, I can't imagine what kind of repercussions they were faced with after my previous escape. How taxing Valentine's rage must've been on their poor souls. As I glance on at the rigid postures accompanied by their steadily planted boots, one thing quickly becomes clear as day; They didn't plan on having any repeats.

The more I stare at the guards, the more that suffocating feeling grows and grows, spilling over into the pit of my stomach. I am on the verge of being consumed by it and having an all out breakdown, when I finally decide to cut my nostalgic exploration short. I have had enough.

Turning hastily, I leave the sentinels behind me as I scurry up the steps and back to my chamber. Locking myself in for the rest of the night with nothing but the warm taste of salted tears and reeling thoughts for company, I crouch against the door and sprawl myself onto the cold, mahogany floor.

I remain like this until morning.