What's Mine is Yours.

Closing the distance between us, he strolls up to me until our noses are almost touching, that mysterious grin still plastered on his face. My perplexed gaze reaches into his translucent grey one, searching desperately for answers. As expected, I collide with yet another mental wall. How can this be?

"I think you are...mistaken" I breathe, my head shaking in total shock and confusion. I've never seen this man before...or have I? His smirk grows twice fold as he cocks his head to the side, his strong jaw angling in a way that sends ripples to my core. Reaching a hand up, he gently caresses the length of my cheek, his pupils dilating a smudge as he scans my face pensively. Intently. Still though, he says nothing in response to my question.

"Wife?" I mutter again, zoning out pensively in search of the missing wedding gown, the trudge down the aisle, the lovers' kiss, the exchanging of vowels. The memories, they are faintly there yes, I have indeed been married before-though the entirety of the recollection is but a fuzzy blur. A decadent wedding to a man with no face. I guess I must suppose he is telling the truth...

"Did something...happen to me?" I ask again, trying to pinpoint my disorientation. The soft feel of his skin against my cheek pulls my attention back to him as I allow myself to study his distinct features. His cherry grin draws my focus to the rune carefully etched under his eye. A peculiar mark indeed. Slowly, I move my hand up to his own face, and allow it to trace the rich inkling. "Was that always there?" I ponder aloud whilst staring at the mark wondrously.

Closing his eyes, he leans into my touch, his fingers leaving my cheek and running along the length of my outstretched arm instead. He lets out a calm, shaky breath, as if reveling in the feel of my touch, and my heart softens at the reaction. He looks almost...sad in this moment. His brooding expression is of someone who has experienced loss. Great loss.

All too suddenly however, the moment ends almost as soon as it had begun. His eyes spring open- his once warm regard rapidly morphing into a confused, icy glare. His pensive expression is quickly replaced by a stoic, accusing veil of near disgust. Seizing my wrist with his strong hand, he yanks my fingers away from his face and takes a pointed step back, putting a foot of distance between us.

Okay...touchy topic maybe? "Sorry" I mutter shaking my head again. His grip on my arm momentarily tightens before loosening. Our eyes remain glued to each other in a fervent stare, as he slowly brings my wrist back down to my side. Heat creeps to my cheeks as I distract myself instead with the majestic, dark crown currently resting atop his shiny black locks. Encrusted with glossy bits of gold and maroon, its polished surface reflects the light filtering into the room.

"How long have we been married?" I try again, hoping he would answer my question this time. "Long enough." he rasps curtly turning his attention away from me. Though he hides it well, I can still see the steady heaving of his chest as he shoves his hands in his pockets, still under effect from my touch. Something troubles him...but he won't say what.

Recovering from the tension, I too slowly turn away and carefully saunter over to the large windowpanes that frame the looming darkness beyond. I stare out at the feverish sky, constantly crackling and fizzing with dark bolts of lightning. It was a nightmarish scene-but in a beautiful way. I watch on at the rich, deep purple of the clouds as they roil about in a fervent circle. A beautiful display, almost matching the mural carefully etched into the bedrooms' ceiling.

Below, rest countless forms of shrubbery. Bushes, tall and short, weeping trees, and twisted branches frame a path that leads into a hooded forest off into the distance. Everything is coated in a thick layer of ash, though no smoke accompanies the haze. A twinge of inexplicable sadness tugs at me from somewhere deep within as I fight the urge to weep along with the trees.

"Does the sun ever visit this place?" I sigh resting my forehead against the glass. "No." comes his hushed whisper from several feet behind me. He'd somehow gotten closer now, though I could feel he was still a bit uneasy. It shows in the way he was making a point of maintaining a safe distance between us.

After a moment of studying his towering frame, I speak yet again: "How is it, that I don't even know your name?" Just then another wave of realization hits me hard and I widen my eyes in bewilderment. "Or mine..." I add furrowing my brows.

After a long moment of regarding me with an expression I can't read, he finally answers. "You are..." he hesitates for a moment. Redirecting his gaze to the floor, he brings his eyes back up to me, his face still angled low and his hands still in his pockets. I swear I must be imagining it- the ghost of a smile on his lips as he continues. "You are Lillith. The Queen of the Underworld. Married to Lord Hades, Ruler of lost souls." He takes another cautious step in my direction as he adds: "You were recently involved in...a misfortunate accident."

"As a result, unfortunately, your memory was...lost in the process". Something slick lingers in his tone as he takes yet another step in my direction, almost as if he is weary that I won't believe him. It's such a peculiar display that sends an inexplicable wave of warning signals to my brain...

My heart, nonetheless, makes its way down into my stomach at the revelation. "Hades" I repeat aloud, the sound of his name on my lips causing a subtle yet certain twitch at the corners of his mouth.

After allowing myself some time for my racing pulse to calm, I spin back around and carefully, take steady steps towards the huge, sliding doors which I assumed led to the wardrobe. Curiosity overtaking me, I lay my palms against the mahogany slabs. Upon opening them, I am initially met with an imposing assortment of clothes and accessories: jewelry, gowns, silk slippers, and fine robes all line the wardrobe's vast shelves.

"Do you like it?" comes Hades inquisitive voice from several feet behind.

"This... this is mine?" I gasp aloud, almost breathless.

Letting out another huge gasp under my breath, I allow my eyes to trace the array of colors and patterns adorning the fabrics– all donning the same hues as the bedroom and I'm assuming- the castle. My castle? Our castle?

"Yes. It is all yours, my Queen. And this...this is your castle. Our castle." comes his hushed whisper from over my shoulder. He'd somehow gotten closer-yet again. There was still about half a foot of distance left between us, but that didn't stop my skin from reveling in the warm heat radiating off of his body.

I turn to face him once more, and my core stirs at the burning bright hues of merlot sneaking their way into his overly dilated pupils. Something hot sears in that gaze of his as they drop down to my lips momentarily before coming back up to meet mine. My gods...His eyes...they change colors... I ponder inwardly sucking in another breath to qualm my quickening pulse as yet more of the translucent grey in his eyes are taken over by a growing shade of burnt crimson. That fiery hue in his regard...one that burns like a raging fire. It makes me feel things...things that I'm not so sure I should be feeling right now...

His hooded eyes are immediately shaded again as he clears his throat. Slowly shaking his head as if reading my thought, he puts up a wall and his demeanor shifts entirely, once again.

"I... have some business to attend to in my study. Violetta will retrieve you for dinner" he finishes as he slowly backs away before stalking to the door. He extends one last undecipherable look before exiting.

Such a peculiar man, I think to myself as he shuts the door, leaving me at the mercy of my own reeling thoughts.