Year 5 Chapter 1

Author's Notes: Hello all, sorry for the delay in launching the next book of the Harry (Heather) Potter series. Real life caught up with me and finding time to write became scarce. Hopefully, I can get ahead in this book so I can keep it rolling. I promise I'm not abandoning this project until it's complete. Thank you all again for your patience.

As always the world of Harry Potter does not belong to me but J.K. Rowling

Chapter One

It was an uncomfortably warm night on Privet Drive. While the rest of the Dursley's had gone to sleep hours before, in the smallest bedroom a teenaged boy was writing in a blue book. His quill blotted the page as he vented his frustrations the only way he could. He wasn't very big for his age, hardly having grown since last summer, and his black hair lay wherever it wanted on his head despite efforts to tame it. His shirt clung to his back with sweat, despite the open window and the lateness of the evening, showing a rather slim figure underneath.

Thursday, July 28, 1995

Dear Diary

I've been back in this house for almost four weeks and I'm going mad. I keep dreaming about the graveyard every night and I know I'm talking in my sleep. The Dursley's are giving me even more looks than they normally do, and despite my best efforts I can't seem to find any sign of Voldemort anywhere. I keep trying to sneak the paper and listen in on the news to even catch a hint of what he's doing, but nothing. The Prophet isn't any help either. I've given up reading anything more than the front cover until they realize what's going on.

What makes everything worse is the letters from Hermione, Sirius, and Ron. All they've sent are empty letters with no news, but I can tell they are all together, probably at the Burrow. Why can't I be there with them? I haven't heard from Ginny at all, and Hermione's letters are always addressed to Harry. She told me at the end of last year she'd be using Heather in all her letters to me. When I saw the outside of the first letter I thought she may have put Harry in case anyone saw her sending it, but it was the same at the top of the page when I opened it. I can't believe after everything last year she would have changed her mind about me. And all she can find to write is that they are very busy and can't say much. I'm going mental.

Slamming the book shut without even waiting for the ink to dry, Harry stood and walked to the open window and looked out on the dark backyard below. It isn't fair, he thought to himself. Why do they get to be together while I'm left here?. Continuing to fume he looked over at the old, repaired alarm clock on the bedside table. It was after three, and he knew if he didn't get to bed soon his temper would be even shorter tomorrow, which never boded well around his aunt and uncle.

The next morning the sun rose to find him asleep in his bed, having not even changed out of his clothes. A sharp rap on the door woke him, followed by his aunt yelling at him to get up. Downstairs in the kitchen the three Dursley's didn't speak to him as he sat down to his breakfast. This was by no means different from any other morning. That afternoon, after weeding the dry flower beds of non existent weeds, Harry returned to his room to find Hedwig waiting with a package from Hermione. Looking at the label and seeing Harry written there was almost too much. Anger rose in the pit of his stomach and for a moment he considered throwing it away unopened. After a moment he calmed his all too frayed nerves and peeled back the paper. As he ripped a letter fell out of the wrappings.

Harry

I'm sorry I haven't been able to write more to you this summer. And I know my letters aren't what you were expecting from me. We've been told not to say anything important in case our letters go astray. I'm hoping that this will cheer you up. I know it's a few days before your birthday, but I wanted you to have these early. I expect we'll be seeing you quite soon