Year 5 Chapter 5

As always, the world of Harry Potter does not belong to me but J.K. Rowling

Chapter Five

 If Harry had any hope that things would get better once classes started, his first day back crushed them. Hermione told him that morning of a fight she had been having with Lavender about whether she believed Harry or not. Then at breakfast they found out that the first day of their week was full of all their least favorite classes, including Defense Against the Dark arts with their new professor, Umbridge. By the time they climbed back to the common room at the end of the day, his temper was near to breaking, not that it had been exceptionally long to start with. He now had five nights of detention with Umbridge and would have to miss the tryouts for Gryffindor's Keeper on the team.

 The next day was hardly any better. Both Professor's McGonagall and Flitwick spent the first fifteen minutes of their classes The next day was hardly any better. Both Professors McGonagall and Flitwick spent the first fifteen minutes of their classes talking about the upcoming O.W.L.'s, and at the end of their classes assigned a staggering amount of homework, on top of everything else the fifth years already had to do. That afternoon was their first Care of Magical Creatures class of the term. Like last year during her classes, Harry spent the whole time being upset that Hagrid wasn't there, but at the same time quietly enjoying a relatively safe lesson.

 As the three of them were making their way back to the castle Luna emerged from the greenhouses and made a beeline for Harry, Ginny following in her wake. Without even stopping to say hello, she declared "I believe He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back. And I believe you fought him."

"Err, thanks Luna" Harry replied, both embarrassed and thankful. A group of other students had stopped to watch what was happening and Harry could see Lavender and Pavarti giggling at Luna's outlandish fashion choices.

 Not realizing they were laughing at her rather than what she said, Luna said "You can laugh. But people used to not believe in the Blibbering Humdinger or the Crumple-Horned- Snorkack either."

"Well, they were right. Those things don't exist." Answered Hermione.

Luna gave Hermione a look of deep loathing, and turned on her heel and flounced away, her earrings swinging wildly, to the laughter of most of the onlookers.

As everyone started moving off, Harry tugged on Hermione's sleeve and held her back.

"Would you mind not offending the only people who believe me?" He asked.

"Oh Harry, you can do better than her" She replied dismissively.

Harry didn't have an answer to that, and quietly walked away leaving Hermione to catch up. She seemed to realize that she's said something to upset him, but since they were soon surrounded by other students, she didn't press the point.

 Reaching the greenhouses for Herbology, Harry found his way blocked by Ernie Macmillan, a Hufflepuff in his year.

"I want you to know, Potter, that I's not just weirdos who believe you. I personally" and he put a great deal of emphasis on the word, "believe you one hundred percent."

For some reason, despite his liking of Luna, this public declaration of support didn't embarrass Harry quite as much. Instead of giggles from the surrounding students, there were quiet murmurs and a few thoughtful expressions. As he walked away to stand with Hannah Abbot and Justin Finch-Fletchly, Harry couldn't help but give Ernie a look over. He'd never really thought much about the blonde Hufflepuff since Ernie had come to believe he wasn't the Heir of Slytherin in their second year.

With a start Harry caught himself tracing his eyes over the curve of Ernie's broad shoulders. He was thicker in the chest and shoulder than most of the boys in fifth year, without being the oversized giants that Crabbe and Goyle were. Shaking his head as if to clear it, Harry queued up with Hermione and Ron for class.