Year 7 Chapter 4

Harry Potter belongs, as always, to JK Rowling. Unfortunately, she got there before I could.

Chapter Four

The three emerged from the darkness out onto a busy street, their sudden arrival unnoticed by the passing muggles intent on their errands. "Where are we?" asked Heather as Hermione pulled both of them along behind her.

"Shaftsbury Avenue" she replied. "It was the first place I thought of. We need to find you somewhere to change."

 Coming up on a dark and empty alleyway, Hermione dragged Heather and Ron behind a dumpster and pulled out her beaded bag. Thrusting her arm inside almost to her shoulder, she extracted a bundle of Ron's and Heather's clothes. Apparently, she had meant it when she said she'd had all the essentials packed for days. Heather was too caught up the nerves of just having escaped to notice that the clothes she had been handed were girls. When she did realize it, she decided it made sense as she still looked like Ron's cousin and gave it no more thought. Once all three of them had changed into less conspicuous outfits, Hermione handed Heather her invisibility cloak. Disguised as a girl or not, it was still safer for her to not be seen. Looking forlornly at the dress she had only gotten to wear for a few hours, she threw it into the dumpster alongside Hermione's and Ron's robes.

"Come on, we'd better keep moving." Hermione said, leading them back onto the crowded street. It was difficult to move invisibly without running into someone, and several muggles looked around questioningly when Heather accidentally trod on a stray foot.

 As they walked, a group of drunken workmen catcalled at Hermione from across the street, and Ron sent them venomous glares. Feeling exposed, it was agreed that they should step into an all night café that was a block ahead, at least until they could figure out where to go next. After sitting in a booth, a waitress took Hermione's order of two cappuccinos and left, giving them space to talk.

"You know, we're not far from the Leaky Cauldron-" Ron suggested

"Ron, you know we can't go there!" Hermione exclaimed quietly

"Not to stay, but we need to find out what's going on!"

"We already know," whispered Heather from under the cloak. "Voldemort's taken over the Ministry.

"Fine" said Ron, lapsing into an annoyed silence.

 Behind Heather the chime over the door sounded as two workmen came in and walked up to the counter. As she watched them, Hermione and Ron debated where to go. Ron was all for heading out into the country and then trying to contact the Order but she wasn't convinced. Heather paid little attention, the little hairs on the back of her neck sensing danger. When the waitress brought back their order, Ron took one sip before declaring it to be undrinkable and that they should go.

 On pure instinct, Heather's hand grabbed her wand as the two workmen made identical movements.

"Stupefy!" she cried, aiming for the taller of the two. He crumpled before he saw the spell coming, and his fellow dove behind a table for cover, unsure where the spell had come from. Ron and Hermione whipped around, their wands also drawn and a shot spells of their own. The café was destroyed as curses flew back and forth, until Hermione was able to bring down the second man. With dust filling the air, Heather, Hermione, and Ron approached the two workmen. They were Rowle and Dolohov, Death Eater's, Heather recognized instantly. Panicking as Heather tried to figure out how they had found them so quickly, the Hermione to work erasing their memories, and those of the waitress who had been taken out by a stray stunning spell, while Ron and Heather repaired the café. Wanting to get anywhere that was even marginally safe, it was agreed that they would go to Grimmauld Place. Snape may be able to get in there, but in her current mood, Heather wouldn't mind being able to vent her feelings by hexing their former potions master.