Year 5 Chapter 4

Author's Notes:

As always, the world of Harry Potter does not belong to me but J.K. Rowling

Chapter Four

 Despite Harry not wanting the summer to end, before he knew it the last day of August had come and gone, and he was packing his trunk to return to Hogwarts. In his bedroom he put Heather's clothes in the bottom of his trunk, then carefully stacked Harry's clothes on top of them. Mrs. Weasley had been surprised that he hadn't needed new robes this year, seeing as Ron had shot up another few inches and had outgrown his.

 He looked around his bedroom to check to see if he'd left anything. He considered leaving some of Heather's clothes in the wardrobe, as his trunk was packed rather tightly with two sets of clothes, but he wasn't sure who would be in here before he was in this house again. Sirius had already insisted that they all come back for Christmas and seemed very heartened when Harry enthusiastically agreed. The room, which just over a week before, had felt stuffy and unknown to him, was now in a far more comfortable to him than any room he'd ever had, including his dormitory at Hogwarts. It had taken a few days to truly accept that everything in here belonged to him and to start putting up his own decorations. Sirius had given him an old Gryffindor pennant that was hanging over the serpent of the Slytherin, and his old quidditch shirt with his name on the back was covering the Black family crest.

 When he pulled his trunk down to the entrance hall the next morning, he was surprised to see the number of people who were present. Apparently, they were going to King's Cross with a guard, which to his delight included Tonks. To Mrs. Weasley's great displeasure Sirius, in his dog form, was intent on going with them to the platform. In a tightly packed group, surrounded on all sides by order members on the alert, the group set off for King's Cross. Out on the street Sirius scampered too and fro chasing leaves and squirrels. It made Harry glad to see his godfather be able to enjoy the outside again.

 The usual mob of students and parents crowded the hidden platform where they would catch the Hogwarts Express. Puffing smoke the scarlet train stood waiting, a reassuring sight to Harry. He already noticed the turning heads of both kids and adults as he passed, but in his excitement of going back to Hogwarts ignored them. Let them think what they want, he thought to himself, they'll figure out the truth eventually.

 When they boarded and had said goodbye to Mrs. Weasley and the rest of the guard, Hermione and Ron left, sheepishly reminding Harry that they were supposed to meet the rest of the Prefects and patrol the train. Standing in the corridor with Ginny, Harry didn't know where to go. He'd never travelled to Hogwarts without Ron.

"Come on" said Ginny, tugging her trunk behind her.

They made their way through two coaches passing compartment after compartment crowded with students who all stopped talking to look at him as they passed. Some, mostly fellow Gryffindor's, smiled and waved, but most looked at him with blank expressions. It was no surprise that the Slytherin's jeered and glared at him, he'd been used to that since his first year, but when they passed a compartment of what looked like first years and one of them went pale at seeing him, his heart fell a little.

Finally, Ginny opened the door to a mostly empty compartment. In the corner, her face hidden by an upside-down magazine, was a girl with dirty blonde hair and a wand stuck behind her ear.

"Hello Luna," said Ginny, "Mind if we sit with you?"

The girl who Harry had to assume was Luna peered at them over her magazine and nodded. Once they both had their trunks loaded into the overhead racks, Luna closed her magazine and looked at them.

"You're Harry Potter." She said, and it wasn't a question.

"Err, yeah I am."

"Harry, this is Luna Lovegood. She's a Ravenclaw in my year." Ginny added, introducing them. "Luna, as you've figured out, this is Harry."