Year 7 Chapter 6

Author's Notes: I started off this chapter with a very different plan in mind, but as I was writing it something else took over and it became something completely unplanned. I decided to dedicate most of a chapter to one of my favorite characters in the series who I think gets a little shafted in terms of his story arc. I wish we had seen more of Kreacher's turn around in the book before they have to leave, and so I've written my own version of it.

Harry Potter and friends, do not belong to me but to JK Rowling. I must admit however, I am certainly up to no good with them

Chapter Six

 The tension in the gloomy kitchen was palpable. The last words that Heather had shouted at Remus still hung in the air, cutting off further attempts at conversation. In order to distract herself from the looks that Ron and Hermione were shooting her out of the corners of their eyes, Heather scooped up the paper that Lupin had brought with her picture on it and began to read. They hadn't had any news of the outside world in four days, and a lot seemed to have happened since then. Skating over the articles covering the Muggleborn Registration Commission, Heather turned a page and the name Dumbledore jumped out at her. It was over a picture of five people, who it turned out were Dumbledore's family. Next to the picture was an excerpt from Rita Skeeter's upcoming book. Confident in the knowledge that nothing could make her feel worse right now, Heather read the article.

 She was wrong, it had made her feel horrible. There in print was the tale of Kendra Dumbledore imprisoning her daughter for merely being a squib, with no sign that Dumbledore had ever done anything to prevent it. A small part of her remembered who the author of this trash was, but with how she was feeling that fact did little to aid in her arguments in Dumbledore's defense. Once again she wondered how the man she had thought she had known could have done that to his own sister. For the first time in days, she had completely forgotten about Kreacher.

 A loud Crack broke the heavy silence followed by sounds of a scuffle. Kreacher was holding Mundungus Fletcher on the floor next to the table in his best imitation of a headlock. At the sight of his master, Kreacher slackened his grip just enough, allowing Mundungus to break free and try to retrieve his wand.

"Expeliarmus!" shouted Hermione who had been much quicker. Deftly, she caught the wand as it went soaring through the air.

"What'd I do? Who're you?" Mundungus said wildly, his beady eyes locking on Heather.

"I'll give you a chance to put two and two together." Heather said icily, folding the paper very deliberately and setting it on the table.

"Lemme go, or-" Mundungus shouted, cut off abruptly as Kreacher returned to his attempts to subdue him. "Sickin' a bleadin' house elf on me."

"I don't think you have any room to make any threats right now." Heather replied, nodding at Kreacher to let him up. "Well done, Kreacher." The elf gave one more yank, released Mundungus, bowed low to Heather, and backed away, glowering at the thief.

"Lets get to it," began Heather, inwardly enjoying the blank expression on Mundungus' face as he tried to figure out who she was. She rose from her chair and stood over the crouching man. This was good, if he couldn't figure it out, maybe the Death Eater's wouldn't be able to either.

"Who're-" began Mundungus again. Without speaking, Heather pulled back her bangs to show the scar on her forehead. What little color remained in Mundungus' face drained instantly and his jaw dropped.

"Whatdayou want? I panicked, that was bleeding Him flying at-" he spluttered before Heather cut him off again.

"We don't care about you running off. We already knew you were a useless coward." It was the second time tonight she had called someone that. "What we want to know is about the stuff you nicked from this house. My stuff." She finished, letting the chill reenter her voice and enjoying watching Mundungus quail again.