Year 7 Chapter 11

Author's Notes:

Harry Potter Disclaimer, it still doesn't belong to me. Oh well, guess I won't quit my job after all.

Chapter Eleven

 Ron's return brought with it a very strange feeling. In an effort to get back into Hermione's good graces, anytime he was in her presence Ron would take on an attitude to solemn remorse, going out of his way to help with tasks or otherwise to appear contrite. When he was alone with Heather however, he was an ever-flowing fountain of optimism and energy. During a trip into the surrounding countryside in search of non existent berries, he admitted that the thing he had missed the most was being near Hermione, and that he was hoping eventually he'd be able to bring her around and resume their relationship. Heather didn't say so aloud, but inwardly she doubted if there was anything Ron could do that would make that possible. During some of her rants after his departure, Hermione had expressed quite a few sentiments on that regard that didn't bode well for Ron's hopes.

 He also brought other news, informing them of the taboo that had been placed on Voldemort's name. Anyone who spoke it was immediately traceable. Kingsley Shacklebolt had been cornered that way and was on the run now too. As they returned from their foraging, Hermione met them in the entrance of the tent looking determined. Ignoring Ron completely, she explained to Heather that she wanted to go visit Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's father. That symbol that had been eluding her for months now, the one they found on the grave in Godric's Hollow, had also cropped up in an old letter between Dumbledore and Grindlewald in Rita Skeeter's book.

 Heather wasn't convinced. How could they be sure it wasn't another trap. The last thing they needed was another Godric's Hollow. Her wounds from Nagini's attack still hadn't fully healed and she wasn't too confident in her ability to fight off Death Eater's using the blackthorn wand. Despite Hermione's insistence that all she needed was to practice, the thing still felt very wrong in her hand. Bemusedly, Heather gave way when Ron called for a vote, siding with Hermione before she could even raise her hand.

 With the matter decided, Hermione led them back inside and they started deciding what precautions to take for this visit. Heather still thought it could be a trap, and voiced this feeling several times.

"This won't be anything like Godric's Hollow" promised Ron, "Lovegood's on your side. Says so in every issue of that lunatic magazine of his."

"Yeah, but it's not like I look like Harry Potter anymore. What makes you think he'll believe its me?" Heather said, gesturing at her hair and body. Though she had only taken her potion infrequently in the past few months, none of the changes she had gone through had begun to reverse themselves, something she was extremely grateful for. Her hair remained the light brown it had been for months, but it had ceased to be straight. Magic or not, she had still inherited her father's genes for messy hair.

"Yes, I was thinking about that" chimed in Hermione. "How would you feel about changing back into your old self? Not completely-" she added at the look of shock on Heather's face, "Just the outside. You know, cut your hair short and change it back to black, boy clothes, maybe hide those." She said, eyes on Heather's chest. While still not extremely prominent she certainly couldn't pass well as a boy with them.

"I guess" said Heather, not looking forward to the prospect. Though she hadn't told Hermione this, she had not been at all comfortable in the form of the old man during their trip to Godric's Hollow, and the idea of taking on her old appearance make her stomach twinge badly.

"Don't worry" said Hermione kindly, reaching out to take her hand, "it's just for a day." Ron rested a hand on her shoulder in a brotherly way, which earned him a glare from Hermione. He removed it quickly and resumed his look of polite contrition.