Chapter I: The Evil Spirit

Dess knew that the Devil was coming.

It was a strange feeling, since he knew that Tom, his older brother, had slayed the Devil the year before.

Tom was a role model to Dess. He always thought his older brother was awesome.

Tom would go to help around town and it always brightened everyone's day. Then, he left to kill the Devil. Later, the town got news that Tom had slayed the Devil.

That was the last time he ever heard of his brother, friend, and role model.

While Dess was recalling all their memories of Tom, his parents were cooking dinner. On this particular day, it was Thanksgiving Eve.

Each Thanksgiving Eve, Dess's parents always made the best dinner. Usually there was some form of potatoes. The same day each year, the town would all come to enjoy the feast. This year, the feast was as big as ever. Everyone was excited for the upcoming event.

Then they heard it.

The whole town shook, reacting to a menacing roar of a beast awakening to the southwest of the town. Everyone was frightened for a moment and then continued on with their day. A few hours later, they heard another roar, this time closer. At the time the second roar was heard, Dess was eating dinner with his parents. His best friends, Felix and Charlotte, came over too because it was a tradition that Dess's friends came over the day before Thanksgiving.

Then, a dragon came into the town.

The dragon was a reddish-maroon color. Definitely an adult, which meant it could breathe fire. Dess and their friends hurried over to the nearest window to see what all the commotion was about. Then, Dess spotted Tom on top of the dragon.

There was something different about his brother. Tom's messy brown hair was even messier in the wind. Dess had the same hair as Tom. You could almost say they were identical, if Dess didn't have freckles and green eyes.

Instead of Tom's ordinary pants and short sleeves, he was wearing full battle armor without a helmet and atop his head were two large, red horns, the horns of the Devil. Dess's brother's black armor shone in the sunlight. Instead of his usual light brown eyes, they were a dark red.

Dess stared at Tom. He looked so different, it scared him. Then he shouted to their friends, "RUN!! GET TO THE FOREST QUICK!!"

Dess could feel the bad omen of the Devil get stronger in his heart.

As they all bolted into the forest, they could hear the dragon's roar and feel the heat of the flames ignited by the dragon. Charlotte yelped and ran even faster.

The parents were all still awestruck by the monster, so they didn't even notice their kids leaving. They were then knocked back into reality when the dragon started breathing fire.

Dess's mom was the first to blink, "To the forest! It'll be the safest! And that's where the kids probably are!"

The parents hurried into the woods after their kids. The door of the house was left open in all that rush and Tom landed the dragon on the ground. He stepped in front of the dragon and bellowed:

"I am no longer Tom, the one you once knew. I AM BLADE!!"

The rest was all a blur, and Dess couldn't really remember it in full detail, but there is one thing he knew.

They were so scared.

And so, Dess, Felix, Charlotte, and the parents obviously forgot that forests can easily burn down if there's a fire.