Chapter XXXI: The Mountain of the Devil

Okay," Dess said, taking a breath. "I see a mountain in the distance, and it looks like the Devil's Lair that Felix told us about."

"Yup, that looks like the one I remember," Felix agreed.

"I'll look on the map to check," stated Anthony as he unrolled the wrinkled, ripped parchment.

After checking for a few minutes, he decided it was the right mountain.

Felix took in a deep breath and sighed. He pressed the button on his badge, and he instantly turned into a bear. He started running towards the mountain at high speeds. Everyone else turned into their respective animals and ran, flew, or air-swam toward their final destination.

"Remember our plan before we...y'know...split up?" Anthony asked everyone once they got there.

"Vaguely," Cade replied.

"Yeah, we're supposed to go around the mountain and then Charlotte digs into the storage room using her element," Anthony explained.

"OKAY LET'S GO ALREADY!" Gerald demanded. "I HAD TOO MUCH RED DYE TODAY!!"

And so they went.

*****

When they got to the back of the mountain, Charlotte went to the rocky, rough edge of the giant terrain. "Is everyone ready?" she asked.

Almost everyone simultaneously agreed.

Felix did not.

He sighed and put his hand to the grass. This could very well be the last time he ever touched the green blades.

"Okay, I'm ready."

Then Charlotte started digging through the mountain and they all felt a sting of fear.
But also a little bit of hope, too.