Chapter XV: Joe Bottoms

As Dess, Charlotte, Anthony, Gerald, and Cade set off toward the next nearby village, they noticed the bear was gone. Probably teleported somewhere else.

Soon, they all realized that the bear had an invisible shield around it, so there would be no chance of finding it, unless they bumped into the bear, which would not happen. By the likes of it. Dess sighed, he wasn't too worried about the bear. Everyone but Dess lost all hopes of finding it, so they marched on, towards the next town. When they got a closer look at the town, there were only a few people there.

The group was hesitant to go near the town because they didn't know whether or not they would be friendly in this town. They stalked closer, they decided it would be safer to go from the east gate. 

Charlotte was not very happy with this. "We should just go in the front! It'll be fine." 

"We should go in from the west side!" Cade said.

They eventually decided to go through the east gate, their original decision. As they entered the town, they could see that everyone in the town was weak without any food or water for at least a while. When they asked the villagers about this, they said they had plenty of food and water until the fortress to the west got overrun with goblins, trolls, and other creatures. Only one person survived: old Joe Bottoms. Dess then asked where he lived. The villager said that he lived in the blue house with no windows. The group looked all over town, eventually finding the house.

Dess then went up and knocked on the door. After a few minutes of waiting, with uneventful knocking, the door opened. They saw that at the top of the steps, in the door, was an old man at least sixty-nine (HA YES) years old. "Are you Joe Bottoms?" Charlotte asked. He answered in a frail, shaky voice, "Yes, I am Joe Bottoms. You may call me Joe. You kids must want the story of how I escaped the massacre at Fort Hollow over there."

Joe explained that the army held the ogres back for at least an hour before the monstrosities came and demolished the arrows. "I was one of the ones to escape, but everyone else got shot down. I was the only one lucky enough and fast enough to only get hit on the foot when I reached the town. They would've attacked the town, but reinforcements were already there. That was twenty years ago."

As everyone thanked Joe and got out of the house, they wondered how he was the only one to escape.

The group walked out of the house to see a truckload of monsters running from the town. They gave haste.

They could see the monsters getting farther and farther away. Cade quickly gained on them at supernatural speeds, Gerald right behind him. The rest of the group was far behind them, Dess in the front and gaining on the monsters too. At this point, Cade and Gerald had already begun attacking the monsters. By the time the group had caught up to the monsters, there were only two left, helpless but alive. They let those two live. But by the time they left them to go into the woods, they realized that they had traveled a long way trying to get the monsters. As they entered the woods, they didn't know what awaited them within.