Chapter Five

Riot looked around the packed room, as if looking for someone. He turned to go for a moment to find a different way in, when he collided with an angry, fuming Carnage.

"Watch where you're going!" Carnage snapped, shoving against the larger symbiote's chest, trying to move him away. Of course, Riot didn't budge and regarded Carnage with a great amount of frustration.

"Don't tell me what to do," he growled darkly. "And if you're upset about ruining another one of your little "dates" then I'm happy for you."

"Says you," Carnage spat. "You don't even have one! You never have!"

"That was widely off the charts, and if you think you can just say that, then I hope you stay awake tonight, fearing for your pathetic little life!" Riot snarled.

"Oh, yeah? What are you gonna do to me, Riot? Gonna impale me with one of your weapons? Maybe bite my head off?" Carnage sneered.

"Fuck off, you're being a bitch," the gray symbiote grunted. "Go and harass someone else. Not that it's affecting me," he added, crossing his arms.

"Fine, I will." Carnage grumbled and stalked away.

Riot huffed something under his breath and leaned his shoulder against the pillar close by.

He knew Carnage was right. He hadn't ever had anyone ask him out on a date, let alone have anyone even want to be with him. Riot knew this was not good for symbiotes. Symbiotes needed someone close to keep them in a good state of mind.

And Riot had no one. And why? Because he was fucking ugly, that's why. No one wanted to be with a symbiote that looked like he had just been chopped up and dumped out of a cement mixer.

Riot clenched his hand and growled. He might have been the team leader, the alpha, back where they had come from, but here in the human world, he was just—

That's when he felt someone bump into him from behind. Turning around, he saw that it was his roomate.

"Sorry, sorry," the guy apologized quickly. "I didn't see you there. You blend in well with the pillar."

Riot didn't understand why the human was acting so strange. His face was pink and he was acting flustered. Why be flustered about running into someone? Especially your roomate?

"It's fine," Riot grunted. He paused. "Carlton, right?"

Carlton looked surprised that the alien had remembered his name and nodded.

"Yeah. I'm Carlton," he said.

"Hmm."

Riot looked at the now emptying hall and then back down at Carlton.

"The game's starting," he observed, trying to get Carlton away from him without sounding rude. "You gonna watch it?"

"Uh, no. No, I'm not really into sports," Carlton replied.

"Really? What are you into?"

As soon as those words left his mouth, Riot mentally smacked himself.

"Um, I like research," Carlton answered, kind of startled my the symbiote's question but he recovered quickly. "Science is my passion."

"Hmm."

"What are you majoring in?"

"Not sure yet."

"Oh. So you're still looking?"

"Yes. I'll find something eventually."

Riot shifted a little and stood to his full height now.