Chapter Thirteen

That instant, the door burst open. Eddie struggled in Carnage's grip, trying to get away from that deadly mouth.

"Guys!" he yelled, kicking his dangling legs at Carnage.

He was greatly surprised when the whole group just stood there and laughed.

"Guys! Come on, it's not funny!" he said. "He's gonna eat me!"

"Eddie, relax," Anne laughed. "It was a prank!"

"What?" Looking back at the red symbiote, Eddie saw that Carnage was smirking at him, trying not to laugh. "Wait, but what about the serum stuff?"

"It was colored water," Carnage explained as he set Eddie down, releasing him.

"Wait, then who shot you?"

"I did ."

Venom smirked as he came in through the door, an empty syringe in his hand.

"Venom? What? Was this a prank?" Eddie asked, still confused.

Venom laughed and nodded.

"You should have seen your face!" he crowed.

"But I thought you and Carnage were—"

"We're friends," Carnage chuckled. "It was all a prank. He pretended everything, from the hostile manner towards me at the beginning to the locker room set up."

"Wait, but what about the homecoming event? What was that?" Eddie wondered, still not convinced.

"I was drunk," Carnage replied. "Venom actually didn't have to pretend for that one. I tend to get a little....touchy...when I'm loopy."

"Wait, so all of this was a prank?" Eddie grinned. "Like, all of it?"

"Not all of it," Venom corrected. "Us being together is real. Just wanted to let you know that you're appreciated."

"You pulled this prank for two months."

"It was hard, not gonna lie, but we did it," Venom replied. "Carnage was never bad in the first place, we just thought it would be funny to make him the bad guy because of his name."

"We called everyone in the group we knew was going to be here and they played along as well," Riot added.

"You guys are awful," Eddie muttered but he was smiling. "What made you think to do this?"

"It was all Anne's idea," Venom said. "She knew how you were feeling after she went to be with Dan so she made up this plan and everything to cheer you up."

"Wow."

Anne smirked.

"I think you enjoyed this, Eddie," she said.

"Yeah, but did it have to be two months? I feel like Carnage was left out of everything until now," Eddie said.

"I'm fine. It was a good role and I enjoyed it," Carnage laughed. "Besides, this shows you're a person who actually cares about others despite what others think about them. You have a good character."

"Oh. Thanks."

"Now, we're going to officially head out," Dan said. "We have a reservation set at ten o'clock for an escape room."

"Wait, wait, wait, so what about that dude you were telling me about? Your old boss? Is he actually doing that kind of stuff?"

Carnage laughed.

"Also a prank," he said.

"Oh. Good. But still....two months? Seriously?" he looked at Anne. Anne shrugged.