Chapter 35. The Eye

Harry's POV 

The Risen were out, Vadadeces was lying on the floor. It seemed like we had won.

With a lurch of my stomach, Vadadeces stirred.

I gasped. Only a seriously powerful wizard could break Mcgoncgall's spell.

"How...dare...you." Vadadeces whispered.

Mcgoncgall raised her wand and directed it so swiftly at Vadadeces that it was just a blur. Yet his shield charm was so swift that she was thrown off balance. 

We danced around, dodging the curses and sending spells ricocheting everywhere. Sprout, Flitwick and Slughorn soon joined in, as the other students. We weaved and leaped around him.

Finally, it was too much Vadadeces. He leaped out of the window and disapparated.

I sprinted to it and disapparated to the ministry as well, leaving the staff alone.

"HARRY!" Ron made a sound between a scream and a whoop- "Thank goodness!" (Ron and the others disapparated beforehand)

Hermione wiped her forehead in relief.

"Luna! How's Luna?" I asked.

"She's...fine." Neville said. Luna was lying on a bench. Her eyes were closed, but her breathing was steady.

"I fixed her arm, and I checked for curses." Hermione said in a small voice. "I can't believe Ginerva did that." 

"I trusted her." Ron said, uncharacteristically harsh. 

"Me too." I knelt down besides Luna. "Luna, can you hear me?" 

Luna's eyelashes fluttered and she straightened up.

"Where's Harr- Harry! Thank goodness!" She cried.

"Are you feeling all right?" I asked anxiously.

"Yes, I'm fine." She said. She leant against the wall.

"She got tortured, twice." I announced to the crowd.

They gasped.

Ron was steeling himself to do something stupid. "I'm going to find her! I'm going to-" 

"Ron..." Hermione whispered "Please don't do that. I don't want to lose you." She placed a kiss on his cheek.

He nodded. His blue eyes were filled with a fire I had never seen before.

Luna gave a cry. I spun around. She was holding her arm, gasping.

"Luna...are you..." Suddenly, my scar burst open. It was on fire.

I tried to steady myself. Rid my mind of all emotion- 

Then it was over. My breath was in gasps, yet nobody was paying attention.

Luna was on the floor, rigid. I gave a roar of terror and pushed Ron away in my haste.

"Luna! Luna..." 

Luna gave a moan and stirred. She winced and clutched her arm. Horrified, I looked down.

A triangular eye was stretching itself across Luna's skin. I peered closer. It was jet black, mixed with her blood. 

It blinked.

A voice issued from it.

"Harry Potter. I will catch you. I will take over the Wizarding World. You can do nothing to stop me." 

The eye blinked again, and disappeared.

Luna straightened up. She looked terrified.

"Did you hear-"

"Yes, I did." I said. Everything seemed fuzzy, slow.

A scream issued from the distance. I stood up, alert, when a witch came running towards us. I recognised her as Cho Chang.

"NEVILLE!" She half fell, half ran into Neville's arms.

"They are storming the ministry, Harry." She whispered.

I froze. Shouts were getting near.

"POTTER!" A roar made me run as I had never ran before. I tore through the winding passages, avoiding curses and shooting spells everywhere.

I grasped onto Luna's hand, and sprinted into the Time Room.

"Crumple Horned Snornacks." I muttered.

The door sprang open. We piled inside and locked the door.