Chapter 38. Secrets to Tell

Luna's POV 

With the scream that echoed from my lips, I summoned the moon. It was an ancient Lovegood power, summoning the moon, and could only be used seven times a lifetime, and only during extreme emergencies. And facing the darkest wizard in a century, who had the power to kill me and who wanted to kill me, I supposed that was an emergency.

The glowing silvery sphere hurtled down and I grasped Harry's hands. 

"A malo libera me, luna. Ab impiis libera me, luna. Serva lucem, et expelle tenebras." I chanted.

The moon glowed brighter than ever, and Vadadeces and the Risen were sucked into invisible vortex. But they were more formidable than I expected, as Vadadeces disapparated with a pop, but no one could exactly escape the power of the moon. His cloak peeled off (A/N Why tf did I write that) and I had the brief glimpse of his anger-twisted face as he turned in midair and disappeared. The rest of the Risen had been sucked into the moon. 

But where was Ginny?

"There!" Harry yelled, and pelted after the disappearing streak of red hair. When we got to place where Ginny had been, she had disapparated.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville and Hannah turned their shocked faces towards me. 

"What in Merlin's saggy left ball was that?" Ron asked.

"Later." I promised.

Mrs Weasley repaired the Burrow in a flick of her wand, and we stepped inside.

I took a deep breath as the five turned their faces towards me, silently asking for an answer.

"Seven centuries ago, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother was a warrior witch. She would defy armies that invaded Britain. Secretly, of course. But when it was the seventh time the enemy invaded, a certain dark waizard realised that he were dealing with magic. So the dark wizard came to the enemy's aid. My ancestor knew that Dark Wizard was too powerful for her, so she summoned the moon- sacrificing herself in the process. It is the deepest magic, summoning any part of nature. So-" I glanced at Hermione, who was looking hopeful, "-unless you want to die or die painfully, don't try it." 

Hermione sighed wistfully. 

"So this gift has passed from mother to daughter, from mother to daughter, et cetera. But somehow-" I paused, my heart pounding- should I tell them? 

"Luna," Harry said, his emerald green eyes meeting my ocean blue ones; "Don't tell us if you don't want to. Don't feel pressurised." 

I smiled gently at him. "I'll tell you." 

"I was different. Others could only summon the moon seven times in their life, but I- I could summon the moon at will, infinite times. No limit. I don't know why. Maybe because I shared the same name as my ancestor- she could summon the moon at will too." 

Ron whistled.

"Luna, I've seen a lot of cool stuff, but this is cool cool. Imagine summoning the moon at will!" 

"I wouldn't fancy summoning the sun at will. I'll melt." Neville said, grinning at me.

I managed a smile. I could summon the moon. I could do magic. My boyfriend defeated the second most dangerous wizard in Britain. What else could go wrong?

Everything.