Chapter 48. Tears

Harry's POV (omg what the heck this is the 5th time in a row)

I was dimly aware of my surroundings. All I knew that Ron, my first friend and my best, was gone, and I, Harry Potter, needed to save him. 

I couldn't tell the others. They wouldn't let me. 

"For Ron." I murmured hoarsely. 

Then Luna and Hermione burst out of the corridor. 

Hermione's face was blotchy. Luna's arms were wrapped around Hermione's shoulders and she was whispering gently to her. 

Then she caught sight of me, staring absently out of the window, a faraway look on my face, holding that tiny piece of paper that determined my destiny. 

To submit myself for a friend. 

Except I wasn't exactly sure that no one would give me a death pass. 

I mean, I had escaped death more than should be allowed. 

My tickets had run out. 

Luna ran over. 

"Harry." She cupped my face with her soft hands. "What's wrong?" 

I didn't trust myself to speak. All I knew is that I couldn't let her see the paper. 

"Harry," she said, more fierce. "Show me the paper." 

I wouldn't budge. 

"SHOW ME THE PAPER." Her voice raised to a dangerous tone. 

My defense wall started to crack. In fact, I wanted to shove the paper onto the ground and run away. 

"Please." Her beautiful blue eyes reflected mine, momentarily showing me a flash of sea-green.

Then my defense wall broke down. All my fear, anger, hatred and sadness washed over me, and I just sank down on a nearby chair. 

"I can't." I croaked. "I can't." 

Luna gently picked up the piece of paper. Her eyes flashed. For a second, the blue in her eyes shone silver, like the moon was there.

"Harry-" she began.

"No. I can't let you go." I said flatly.

She choked up. "Harry...please...I can't lose you."

I buried my face in her shoulder, determined to make the choice. 

"Luna, the last month I had with you were probably the best time of my entire life. I love you, Luna."

She sobbed into my jacket. "Harry...I love you too."

We sat there, crying, hugging, until night fell. Then I gently placed her sleeping body on the couch and went to my dorm, wiping a tear that traced its way to my chin.