Chapter 6

I watched the lone wolf I once loved drive off into the night before I closed the door. I rested my head against the door for a moment before I walked towards the elevator to go to my room. As soon as I entered my room, my phone started to ring.

I answered the phone, "Hey, Nat."

"Hey, where are you? Steve and I left you messages."

"Sorry, my phone was on silent. I'm back at the tower. I wasn't going to stay with my scar showing." I started to remove the pins in my hair. "Is everything okay?"

"Tony and Pepper did some damage control after the incident. Said that Thor got startled and didn't mean to throw the drink at you."

"Did he throw the drink at me?"

"It seemed that way, Iliana, but he keeps saying that he didn't mean to. He looks pretty sincere."

"Hmm, well, I'm going to call it a night, Nat. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay. Tony said to leave the bracelet on his desk. He'll try repairing it for you. Get some rest."

I hung up the phone, removed the rest of my clothes, and took a shower. For my pajamas, I had comfy black cotton shorts and a soft mint off-the-shoulder long sleeve shirt that said, "It's too A.M. for me". I knew Tony was going to get a kick out of these pajamas. I slipped on a pair of fuzzy socks and walked to Tony's office so I could put the bracelet on his desk.

While going down the stairs that led to the common room, a soft thud came from the outside on the landing pad. I tilted my head to the side listening to the footsteps and calm heartbeat. As I focused on my senses, I could smell a hint of metallic smokey lavender scent, but it was also astringent. From that scent alone, I knew it was Thor. Even how he walked, the heavy footsteps sort of gave it away. He walked into the common room without noticing me, went behind the bar, and grabbed two beers from the mini-fridge.

"Did Tony's party run out of alcohol?" I asked him. Thor jumped a bit and quickly straightened. I bit my lip to avoid laughing at his reaction. I leaned against the railing, smirking down at him. "Because that'll be a serious situation."

"Iliana," Thor gaped. He nervously grinned, walked around the bar, and tried to pull off the fact that I didn't scare him as he tried to lean casually against the counter. "I was just on my way to see you and give you a peace offering."

"Beer?"

"Well, yes. I've seen you drink it before and..." Thor cleared his throat. "Iliana, about what happened, I swear to you, I didn't mean to spill the drink on you. I can't understand how it happened, but I hope you believe me. It was truly an accident."

I sensed the sincerity in Thor, along with seeing the guilt that was completely written on his face. I walked down the steps and stood next to him. "It's okay, Thor. I wanted an excuse to get out of the party anyway. Tell me, what was your reason for leaving?"

"It didn't feel right staying. I wanted to make sure that you were alright. What about you? What are you doing up?"

"I just put the bracelet in Tony's office. Hopefully, he can fix it."

"Stark is smart. I'm sure there's something that can be done. Who was the man that tried to defend your honor?"

Smirking, I examined his beer bottle. "That conversation calls for something much stronger than beer." I grabbed two glasses from behind the bar, along with a bottle of whiskey. I poured the drink for us, clinked my glass with his, and took a sip. Thor removed his blazer and set it on the table, unbuttoned his cuffs, and rolled up his sleeves.

"So, you want to know about Logan," I began.

"Is he your boyfriend?"

I stifled a laugh, "No, definitely not my boyfriend. He is my ex, though. This was the first time I've seen him in nine years, I think. I had no idea he was going to be there."