Chapter 26

James and I were in a hallway that looked like a rundown medical center. I pulled out the gun that I took from James earlier while he grabbed another one from his hip holster. Together, we cautiously walked down the hallway. I walked more ahead while James watched our backs. A piercing scream echoed through the hall, making James and I look at each other. It was coming from the door at the end of the hall. We walked to the door and stood on either side of the door. James went inside first, having his gun at the ready just in case, but he lowered it.

I went inside the room too. It was an old operating room. There were three men in white lab coats wearing surgical gear. One of them was using a power drill on a patient who was screaming in agony. I couldn't see who it was due to a doctor blocking the patient, but from the scream alone, I knew who it was.

I grabbed James' arm. I urged, "Come on, let's find another door."

"Who is that?" He asked.

"Let's go, please," I begged as I tried to push him through the door. However, James moved away from me and walked over to the operating table to see the patient. "Bucky, you don't want to see this!"

My words were useless because he saw who was on the operating table. It was a memory of the rest of his arm being amputated after the fall. I looked at James. His face was filled with dread, skin pale, and eyes wide with confusion and disbelief. Looking at the Bucky on the operating table, he was secured with thick restraints placed on his legs, torso, and wrists. His hair was the same length as the Howling Commandos Bucky, but more disheveled, but he had a little bit of stubble. I couldn't help but wonder how long was he in the snow before he was found. His whole body was covered in sweat, eyes filled with tears as he cried out in pain.

"Why aren't they giving me something?!" James demanded.

"It's no use," I whispered. "The serum Zola gave you makes you have an accelerated metabolism. You can't get drunk and medications wear off the moment you take them." A tear fell when I saw Bucky on the operating table faint from his pain.

James turned away, moving to the other side of the room. "Why are we here? I've never seen this memory before. How can I see this?"

I shook my head, "I don't know."

"How could you not know?! This is your power, isn't it? You are the one who came inside my head! How could you not know any of this?!"

I flinched when he shouted at me. "Let's get out of here and we'll figure this out."

James shook his head and looked at a table that had a blanket over it. Hesitantly, he reached for the blanket and pulled it down. Resting on the table was the titanium bionic arm. The metal shined in the light and the red star stood out even more. James stared at it in disgust before he walked towards the door. I quickly followed him so we could leave. Before I stepped out of the door, I looked back once more at the Bucky on the operating table, who was completely passed out. Sucking in a breath, I turned away and closed the door. We didn't go into another memory but just remained in the hallway.

James rubbed his face with his hands. He took a deep breath before he faced me. "That didn't happen to me during the war."

"No, it was after the train."

"Why am I seeing something that happened after the train?"

I leaned my head against the wall, trying to think. "Alright, let's try to think about the memories that we did see so far in order. We saw the night you were captured by Hydra the first time, the Stark Expo, the Howling Commandos being formed. Now, we're in this. There's got to be a connection other than you."

"The only thing that's out of place is the Winter Soldier coming after us, this memory." He sighed, "And you."

I frowned, "Me..." I straightened, remembering something. "The trenches wasn't the first place I was at. I was at this place with a bus that had Steve's shield in the middle of the road." I started to remember what Clint warned me about when I was talking to the others about what I was going to do. He warned me how Bucky's mind could be chaotic because of Shuri's work. "Oh my, God, I'm an idiot."