Chapter 14

For the past two days, the compound was quiet. The events in Lagos have made the whole team uneasy. Wanda hadn't left her room since she got back. I had to bring her meals so that she could eat. She didn't eat much, but I was glad she was getting something in her stomach. I offered to watch movies or walk outside with her so she can get fresh air, but she would decline. I knew telling her to stop blaming herself would be useless. Even if it was an accident and she was trying to help, blood was still in her hands. I understood what that felt like.

When Jean sent the documents to me, I read them to get a better understanding of my power, along with other ways to use it as a whole. Jean was right about the scar. Because it was a traumatizing moment between Bucky and me, it had a stronger emotional connection for us. Also, empaths found it better to communicate with their empathic link when they were in deep meditation or sleeping. It would be even more successful if the link was also asleep or in deep meditation.

Because we were confined to the compound, I decided to try communicating with Bucky. I had the necklace wrapped around my right wrist and held onto the pendant as I used my left hand to clutch onto my right forearm to touch my scar. The first time I tried, I felt like I was stuck in a tornado. I chose to lie down so I could feel a bit more grounded and not lose concentration.

I was by the lake in Branch Brook Park, the same park Bucky and I went to so that I could see the cherry blossoms. I was in the spot where my mother and I used to have picnics when I was younger. A soft wind appeared and blew some of the flowers out of the trees. I held my hand out to catch a few cherry blossoms that were flying in my direction. When I turned around, my breath got caught in my throat. Bucky was standing there wearing the same attire from the day I saw him in D.C.

"Bucky," I whispered, unable to move at the sight of him.

"What the hell is this?"

I frowned, "What is what?"

"This isn't like the dream from before. Every time I dream of this place, you always say the exact same thing. This isn't a memory either."

"No, it's not a memory. I've been trying to do this for almost a year now. I'm able to speak to you this way, through our subconscious."

His jaw clenched, "Why would you do that?"

"Because I want to find you." I stepped toward him but he stepped back. My chest tightened when he did that. "Do you know who I am?"

Bucky hesitated for a moment before answering my question. "You're the Luna. I trained you while we were in Hydra."

"I think it's safe to say that you know I'm more than that to you."

Bucky sighed, looking away. "Don't bother trying to find me. There's no point."

"Yes, there is," I insisted calmly.

"If you were smart, you'd stay away from me."

I shook my head, "What are you talking about? Please, come home and I can help you get your memories back."

He stepped towards me. The way he looked at me, his gaze would freeze hell. "Stay away. If you know what's good for you, you'd stay away. And don't you ever try to come here again. You don't want him to find you."

"You don't want who to find me?" I asked calmly.

Bucky looked around with a tightened jaw. I watched as his cold glare changed to worry. "You need to go," he insisted.

"Iliana?"

I turned around, trying to find the source of the voice. The voice sounded just like Bucky's but it was softer—kinder. The tone of that voice was familiar. I scanned the park but didn't find the source of the voice. I looked back at Bucky. From the look of his eyes, I could tell he knew what was going on. He continued to survey the area. He was looking for something that seemed out of place other than me being here.