Chapter 28

Jolting up, I gasped for air. My whole body felt like I was hit by a bus. My cheeks felt sore, and my right shoulder still throbbed but I knew I wasn't going to show injuries, just feel them. The room was swaying and there were things hooked up to me that weren't there before. Weakly, I pulled off a tube that was around my face and yanked off the stickers that were on my forehead. I ran my fingers through my hair as I swung my feet off the bed. Groaning, I placed my elbows on my thighs so I could rest my head on my hands. I felt the urge to vomit but I tried my best to compose myself.

"She's awake!" I heard Wanda call out. Hands gripped my arms as I tried to regain focus. "Iliana, are you okay?"

Mumbling, I answered, "I'm fine, Wanda."

"Jesus, Iliana," I heard Steve say next to me.

I tried opening my eyes but closed them again because it was too bright. I slowly opened them, easing into the brightness of the room. With squinted eyes, I looked around the room. Natasha, Wanda, and Steve were in front of me. T'Challa and Shuri were by Bucky's chamber and the others were by the door. I tipped my head back a little bit before I regained my focus.

Taking a deep breath, I finally looked at my friends. "You all look a little worried."

Natasha scowled, "Can you blame us? You've been asleep for three days now."

I tilted my head to the side, "Oh, come on, it couldn't have been that long."

"It was," Steve replied. "We thought you were in a coma."

"Well, that's different," I mumbled. "Can I have some water, please?"

Wanda walked away to get me water. "Did it work?" Steve asked. "Did you figure it out?"

"There's only one way to find out," I replied and looked at Shuri. "You think you can give the treatment another shot?"

Shuri walked over to a machine to test it out. Steve informed me, "You had us worried. There were times when you were screaming and moving around."

"There might've been times I risked my life."

"You promised to back out if it was too dangerous."

"It was dangerous, just not too dangerous," I shrugged. Wanda came back with the water. I muttered my gratitude as she sat next to me. I took small sips of the water, enjoying the coolness of it. It felt like I hadn't drunk water in months from how dry my mouth felt.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "You're something else, Iliana."

I smirked, "So, I'm told."

"Unbelievable," Shuri said, making me look at her. "This is incredible."

"What is it?" I asked her as I approached her.

"The algorithm is working better than ever. Whatever it is you did, it worked. The treatment can continue now. How did you get it to work?"

"It's very complicated to explain. I can't explain what I saw without it making sense. I don't think anyone would even believe me. The mind's already complicated enough as it is for me to tell you what happened."

Shuri studied the monitor for a moment. "Well, whatever it was, it's gone. I'll begin the treatment immediately."

I smiled, looked over at Bucky's chamber, and then at Steve. His smile widened at Shuri's news. I walked over to Shuri and hugged her. "Thank you."

"I should be the one thanking you," Shuri laughed. She pulled away. "Now, get some rest, eat, and relax. The sooner I get this work done, the faster he can wake up."