Chapter 27

As soon as I took a step through the door, a strong wind hit me the moment my feet touched the hard surface. From surprise and fear, I stumbled back and lost my balance. Bucky immediately gripped my waist and he had us kneel so that we can regain our balance. I looked around to see that we were on the roof of a moving train with nothing but mountains covered in snow.

I peered over my shoulder to look at Bucky. "You couldn't warn me?"

"I told you to watch your step."

"That wasn't enough of a warning!"

"I wouldn't have let you fall, Angel." He kissed my cheek. "Come on."

He moved towards the side ladder. He held his hand out to me to help me go to the ladder. When my hands were holding the railing, Bucky moved down and opened the side door. Once he was inside, he held his hand out to help me inside. Bucky placed his hand on my back as I entered the train. The train was made with high technology compared to what the 1940s should've had. Shelves were in the center of the train that was filled with cases and cargo. I looked out the window to the next cart to see that it had the same thing.

"Why would you pick this place?" I asked him, knowing exactly what this moment was.

He leaned against the wall, "It's secluded. We can manage the exits. There's no way he can sneak up on us."

"Was this the cart you..."

"The next one," he answered before I could finish asking.

I leaned against the door. "So, what do we do now?"

"We wait until he shows up. It shouldn't take him long to find us."

I walked over to the corner and hopped on top of a cargo box to sit down. I moved my hair to the side to examine my bullet wound. It still throbbed, but the pain was tolerable. I moved my hand to touch the wound but winced. I looked at Bucky for a moment, remembering how James and Bucky felt my pain. I could understand why Bucky felt it through our connection. James felt it because he's a part of Bucky, but what about the Winter Soldier? I couldn't see if he felt it but the Winter Soldier was still Bucky which meant he had to have felt it. He acted like Bucky when the words were said and followed the orders.

"What are you thinking about?" Bucky asked, breaking the silence between us.

"I was just wondering if he felt my pain when I got shot. The two of you felt it. So, maybe he did."

"He's not like the rest of us, Iliana. He has no emotion."

"Neither did you at one point. He may have this order to destroy whatever threaten's Hydra's programming but he was still you at one point."

"Don't try to fix him, Iliana. If he attacks, you attack him ten times harder."

I took a deep breath and rubbed my hands together. Something Bucky said was bothering me and I needed to know. I couldn't look at him with the question I was going to ask. "The things you said in the base, were you trying to hurt me so I'd leave?"

Bucky sucked in a breath as he looked down. He admitted shamefully, "Yes, I knew hurting you could make you leave. I knew he was going to find you if you found your way to me. It wasn't easy saying those things to you. I couldn't keep up."

"So, what you said before you went back under was it all a lie? Because I remember you said no matter what happens, you'd find your way back to me. How can you if you give up?"

He walked toward me. His hands rested on my thighs and opened them slightly so he could slide in between them. "Iliana, I promise you, I just said those things to get you out of my head. I'm just as protective of you as you are of me. You're just so goddamn stubborn, especially when it comes to me. I didn't want to hurt you, but I keep finding a way somehow." He gently tipped my chin up so I could look at him. "Angel, what am I going to do with you?"