Chapter 8

"Iliana? Iliana, can you hear me?" A voice said as they shook me gently.

I groaned, rubbing my head before I felt two hands help me into a sitting position. I rubbed my eyes and tried to focus. Everyone was in the lab with worried expressions on their faces. Bruce was next to me checking my blood pressure. "What the hell happened?"

"You tell me," Tony said as he gave me a cup of water. "You said that you were going to clean up the coffee, but Bruce and I found you in here unconscious. All the papers were everywhere. What happened in here?"

Small fragments of what happened last night started to play. "The scepter," I mumbled. My eyes diverted to the scepter to see that it was still on the podium with the blue gemstone intact. I stood up and walked over to it. "Did you guys move it?"

"Iliana, the scepter was on the podium when we came in here," Bruce informed me.

Frowning, I muttered, "But the gemstone...it moved towards me and..." I rubbed my face. "I saw something. I can't remember what I saw, but there was something."

Clint stepped toward me. "The mind stone gives you visions, Iliana. It makes you see things and gives you knowledge about certain things. Trust me, I know a thing or two about it."

"I guess," I mumbled with uncertainty. "It was really weird."

Bruce removed the cuff from my arm. "Well, your vitals are normal, but I think you should take an easy. Get some rest."

"Alright, I'll lie down for a bit."

Lying down on my bed, I twirled my hair around my fingers, wondering about last night. Was seeing the gemstone crack a vision or was it real? I closed my eyes and tried to get some sleep, but frowned when I felt a stiff pain on the back of my neck close to the shoulder blade. Groaning, I tried to rub the spot, but the pain didn't subside. It felt as though I pulled a muscle. It was probably because I was sleeping on the lab's floor all night. I rolled my shoulders a bit and continued to keep my eyes closed so I can get a few hours of decent sleep.

I was at the Smithsonian in the Captain America exhibit. The exhibit was completely empty, allowing me to look around. I slowly walked towards the banner that showed the Howling Commandos. I reached out and touched Bucky's uniform as I stared at his picture. My heart constricted the longer I stared at his photo. Sighing, I made my way over to the glass memorial that commemorated Bucky.

My fingers gently touched the picture of Bucky as I read what the memorial said. When I blinked, people appeared, making me look around. It was just as busy as the day I was there. Feeling a familiar presence behind me, I turned around to see that Bucky was standing in the same spot as that day.

"Bucky," I whispered, coming up to him.

I reached out to touch his face but he remained still. I felt his jaw clench in frustration the longer he stood in front of that memorial. His eyes lingered on it as he took in what it said. The realization and pain were so clear on his face.

"Bucky, look at me, please. Please, look at me," I uttered, biting my lip as I caressed his cheek. He felt so real under my touch. I could feel the stubble, the warmth of his skin, and the tingling sensation that traveled from my fingertips to my heart. I pressed my head against his chest. "I wish I could find you," I sniffled.

From the corner of my eye, I saw me from that day looking at Bucky. Bucky turned around to face the me from that day only for him to be blocked when the group of people walked away. I followed Bucky out of the Smithsonian, but when I stepped outside, a bright light flashed in my eyes.