Chapter 23

Steve and I stared at the entrance to the base before we exited the ramp. It was strange to come back here after everything that happened, but I needed to know the truth. I needed to know what happened. If I was truly clairvoyant, I could unveil the truth. It was evident we didn't want to be here after what happened with Tony. As soon as the elevator door closed, I couldn't help but snicker.

"What?" Steve asked.

"Nothing, I just didn't think I would come back here willingly—again. It might be three times if Bucky and I decide to blow this place up someday."

"That'll be a sight to see," Steve replied as he opened the elevator door. "Where do you want to start?"

"I think the first place where I sensed it should be the best bet." I squared my shoulders and sighed. "Shall we?"

Steve and I walked silently through the base, not worried about potential threats. While Steve led the way, I stopped walking. Karpov had an office with a secured filing cabinet. There could be more information on Bucky's brainwashing that could help Shuri speed up the work. I gestured for Steve to follow me. When we were in the office, I started rummaging through the file cabinets.

"What are you looking for?"

"Anything that could be helpful to Shuri," I answered. "Might as well, right?"

"True," Steve shrugged and helped me look through the documents.

As Steve rummaged through the files, I moved to Karpov's old desk drawers. One of the drawers was locked, so I yanked it hard to break the lock. Inside was a metal box that needed a key. I punched the box to create a dent large enough to fit my hand through for me to pry the box open. When the box was opened, I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"Holy shit," I whispered. I picked up the dog tags and flipped them over to see it belonged to Bucky. I ran my thumb along the letterings. The metal had definitely aged overtime and weathered, but it was still readable. "Steve, look at this."

Steve grabbed the dog tags. "Son of a gun," he muttered. "What else is in there?"

I continued to rummage through the contents. "My passport and social security card...and my class ring." I shook my head while I studied the ring with the ruby stone in the center. "I didn't think he'd be interested in keeping this stuff."

"Me either." Steve handed me the dog tags, but I tried to hand them back to him. He shook his head. "You hold onto them. He'd want you to."

"You're his brother, Steve."

"And you're the love of his life. You hold onto them."

My fingers ran over the lettering before I slipped them on and tucked them under my uniform. "Alright, let's go to the room."

Steve and I walked to the room Bucky was held in. I closed my eyes and tried to see if I could feel the same presence, but felt nothing. Grimacing, I walked to the spot where Tony was when I saw the unknown force for the first time. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. A sickly chill run up my spine before I heard a haunting voice.

'They killed your family...are you going to let them get away?' I heard a hushed voice say. 'You're an Avenger, aren't you? So, avenge them. Take her down!'

I opened my eyes. "It whispers things inside your head. The temptation makes you want to—Steve, what did it say to you?"

"It told me Tony wouldn't stop hurting Bucky and you. He wouldn't stop until you were both dead. It made me feel like I needed to do something to keep both of you safe."

"So, you tried to kill him with the belief you were protecting us, along with your anger towards him." I turned to Steve. "But I don't understand what was the motive behind all of this? That's the missing part to all of this. Let's go to the next spot."