Chapter 25

My eyebrows furrowed when I opened my eyes. Instead of being in the Smithsonian or Branch Brooke Park, I was somewhere else. I was in the middle of a road with a highway bridge nearby. When I turned around, a bus was flipped on its side and a few cars were parked near it in a chaotic matter as though they were abandoned. Scanning the area, there was no one around. On the other side of the bridge, a car was on fire.

"What the hell? Where am I?" I mumbled. The more I surveyed the area, I noticed that there were bullet holes on some of the cars. That's when I saw at the end of the bus, there was a familiar shield covered in soot. "The hell is this doing here?"

I took a step toward the shield but jumped when I heard a loud crash behind me. My head whipped around to see the Winter Soldier was right behind me. He stood on a car that was crushed from him landing on it. Though I had seen him this way so many times, seeing him in the mask always brought shivers down my spine. He straightened slowly, his cold blue eyes never leaving mine. I took a hesitant step back, but when he pointed his rifle at me, I ran. As I ran away, he shot in my direction. As I ran, I tried my best to stay out of his range. He was skilled with hand-to-hand combat but his sniper skills were beyond compare.

Nearing a car, it exploded from the grenade launcher that was connected to his rifle. I turned away from the car and tried to find cover somewhere. Another shot was fired. Feeling the wind of the bullet, I realized that he nearly got me. I decided to take a turn in an alleyway in hopes that I could find cover on the other side. I stopped on the corner of the building.

"This isn't how it was before," I grumbled softly.

Close to the entrance of the alleyway, there was a puddle. I knelt down so I could use the puddle's reflection to locate where the Winter Soldier was but I didn't see him. Something else was there. Frowning, I moved away from the corner and looked at the alleyway. It didn't have dumpsters lined up against the brick walls as it did minutes ago. Even the building I was leaning on wasn't the same. All on the ground was rubble and debris. The paved ground was just dirt. I turned around to see the same thing. The brick buildings were destroyed with black smoke in the distance. As I looked around, I realized that the building structures were different too. It wasn't modern, but older. I tilted my head to the side when I saw Big Ben from a distance. Frowning, I walked a bit farther down the path only to stop when I saw a newspaper stuck under the debris. I raised an eyebrow when I saw the date when the paper was published.

"World War Two," I gaped. "What the hell is going on?"

I took a step back but stumbled from the uneven ground. Before I could catch myself, I fell to the ground, but instead of landing in a pile of rubble, I landed in a trench. The sound of gunfire and explosions filled my ears. Peering over, the area transitioned to a grassy field. Parts of the field were on fire due to the explosions. I looked around wondering where I should go until I saw a few men jump into the trench. I moved away from them but recognized one of the men. He had a mustache and a top hat. He was on the banner at the Smithsonian.

"There's got to be at least five more companies out there!" He shouted at the man next to him.

"Radio B-Company! Tell them we need cover!" Shouted a familiar voice.

"Bucky?" I gasped. "Bucky, is that you?"

I crouched over and started making my way over to them. "That might be tough!" Responded a man with a broken radio.

"Bucky, behind you!" Shouted the man with the top hat.

I moved behind Bucky as he was firing his weapon. "Bucky!" I called, grabbing his shoulder, but he ignored me. "Bucky! It's Iliana. Bucky, look at me!"