Chapter 17

Steve and I dressed up in our gear just in case German Special Forces caught on to the trail. Because I managed to catch Bucky as he was leaving, we found his apartment when I saw the cross streets as he walked into town. Steve and I entered his apartment while Sam stayed on the roof to keep watch for us.

His apartment was old and rundown, with cheap furniture, kitchen utilities, and a few clothes that were put away. As I looked around the apartment with Steve, I noticed a few things about the setup of Bucky's apartment. His bed was placed in front of the largest window possibly as a way to use the bed to block away anything that would come through that window. The other windows had long rugs neatly placed possibly as a way to trip anyone who could enter through those windows. Cinderblocks and pieces of wood were created as a shelf and were placed against the wall closest to the front door maybe so he could throw them at whoever entered. A wood pallet was also resting against that wall too. I even noticed that his small table was placed in perfect alignment with the front door. Bucky might have settled in this apartment, but he was still very precautious of any potential threat that could come his way. I walked towards the balcony door that was near the kitchen but frowned when I noticed one of the floorboards sounded hollow. I lightly stepped on it again to make sure I was hearing it right. Sure enough, I was. I got down to see if I can open the floorboard.

"Iliana," Steve called. I looked at him. Steve was looking through a journal he found by the refrigerator. When he opened the journal, a piece of paper fell out so I bent down to get it. After I picked it up, I looked over to see a picture of Steve in his uniform but it was more on the vintage side.

"Heads up, German Special Forces approaching from the south," Sam warned us through our comms.

"Understood," Steve replied as he studied the picture in the journal. I unfolded the paper that fell out of the journal and raised an eyebrow. It was a drawing of me. He turned to look at the picture. "Looks like he's remembering you."

I nodded, "Looks like." I went to fold the paper again but frowned when I saw there was another drawing behind it. I flipped the paper around to see that it was my necklace. I slightly held up the paper into the light. The drawing of me and the drawing of the necklace matched the placement of each other even though they weren't on the same side. I lowered the paper down to fold it again. I handed Steve the paper but froze when I realized there was a third heartbeat in the room.

From the way my heart tensed and the air grew thick, I knew who was behind us. I turned around quickly. Bucky standing close to his bed. He was wearing the same baseball hat from the day I saw him at the Smithsonian. A dark brown layered cargo jacket with a red henley shirt. Under his henley shirt was a washed-out black shirt, dark jeans, and motorcycle gloves. His eyes were cold, prepared for whatever we may throw at him. He wasn't the Bucky I talked to when I entered his mind. This was the Bucky from the Smithsonian—the one who told me to stay away the first time I communicated with him through our connection. I did my best to contain myself from running into his arms because I knew I would scare him. He didn't trust us yet.

"Do you know me? Do you know her?" Steve asked Bucky.

Bucky broke contact with me to look at Steve, "You're Steve. I read about you in a museum." He returned his stare to me. He nodded his head towards me. "Luna."

"You know my name. So, say it."

He exhaled sharply. "Iliana."

"They've set the perimeter," Sam warned us.

Bucky said, "I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore."

"I know," I said. "We believe you. That's why we're here."

Sam announced, "They're entering the building."

"The people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive," Steve informed him.