Chapter 10

Steve told Thor to follow the trail of the robot that escaped while we were fighting. The rest of us went into Tony's lab to figure out what happened. Natasha changed out of her clothes and gave me a sweater to wear over my dress. Hill and I decided to make sure the building was secure while Natasha, Bruce, and Clint went through the database. Once we regrouped in Tony's lab, Tony and Bruce explained what they had been doing for the past week. They tried using whatever knowledge the gemstone had to put it into the Ultron program. Jarvis tried to shut down Ultron, but Ultron completely destroyed him. Ultron could go through the internet and get whatever information he wanted. He was going to be one step ahead of us.

Thor stormed into the lab. Without saying a word, he walked over to Tony, clutched his neck, and raised Tony up.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Rhodey began as Thor continued to hold Tony's neck.

"It's going around," Clint murmured.

"Come on, use your words, buddy," Tony breathed roughly.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark."

Steve stepped forward, "Thor, the legionnaire."

Thor roughly set Tony down. "The trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north and it has the scepter. Now, we have to retrieve it—again."

"The genie's out of that bottle," Natasha stated, folding her arms across her chest. "Clear and present is Ultron."

Dr. Cho muttered, "I don't understand." She looked at Tony. "You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

The sound of Tony laughing made me want to punch him in the face. I glared at him as he continued to laugh while Bruce subtly shook his head at Tony. "Jesus," I grumbled, shaking my head. "He's lost it."

Thor approached him. I could see his fist tighten around the hammer. "You think this is funny?"

"No," Tony said, looking at all of us. "It's probably not, right? Is this very terrible? Is it so...is it too...it is. It's so terrible."

"This could've been easily avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand," Thor stated, approaching Tony.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this."

Bruce tried to interject, "Tony, maybe this might not be the time to-"

"Really? That's it? You just roll over, show your belly, every time somebody snarls."

"Only when I've created a murder bot."

"We didn't," Tony insisted. "We weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?"

Steve stepped towards Tony. "Well, you did something right and you did it right here. The Avengers were supposed to be different than S.H.I.E.L.D."

I rubbed my forehead. "You know, I seriously can't believe you two. Tony, I believe, because it's well—Tony, but Bruce, I didn't expect this from you." I hopped off the table, looking at both of them. "I mean, both of you saw what that damn scepter did to me. You saw that it heightened my power with some unknown force. We don't even know the extent of what I could do or the side effects that I could face from it, but you guys still decided to mess around anyway. The moment that thing did something to me should've stopped you from trying to make Ultron. You shouldn't have played with something no one understands."

Tony scoffed, "Jersey, you don't get it."

"Really? Try me."

Tony looked around the room, "Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole? Saved New York? Recall that?"