chapter 2

Bonnie stared down the hallway, watching Ron and Kim talk by her locker. It had been a week since her little date with Ron, and she still couldn't get it out of her mind. Not that the date itself was that big, though the empty theatre to themselves was definitely a very nice touch. No, it was that kiss at the end that drew her back.

It had been such a simple kiss, not even all that impassioned, just a simple goodbye kiss. But the feelings it had left her with afterwards were definitely strange. She had felt something, something more than she normally would, and it bothered her. She couldn't get it out of her mind.

Ron didn't help matters either. After what he had set up for her, and her thinly veiled suggestion, she had expected him to be almost throwing himself at her feet, at least in private, for another date. If he had been throwing himself at her, she could have just laughed him off, as she had been planning to. Maybe even embarrass him a little. Something like that could have helped her get past this quicker. But now it was Friday, a full week from when they had gotten together, and he had barely said two words to her the entire time. And she didn't dare make that first move, because something like that could backfire very quickly. So here she was, left to seethe alone, with no one she dared talk to to work out these issues, these feelings she was having.

"What did Kim do this time?"

Bonnie jumped, yelling at herself quietly for having been caught staring, relieved only slightly when she saw Tara standing behind her, smiling. "What? Nothing. I'm just… trying to come up with some way to get back at her, that's all."

Tara glanced over, her smile not fading. "I still don't see why you hate Kim so much. I mean, sure, she gets on my nerves on occasion too, but if you didn't worry about it so much, I think you two would get along better in the long run."

"Yeah, whatever." Tara shuffled her feet a bit, until Bonnie started to look a bit irritated. "What?"

"Well… are you ever going to tell me who your mystery date was? It's been a week, and all you've told me was the date was good. Why won't you tell me more than that?"

Bonnie sighed deeply, rolling her eyes. "Because there's nothing to tell. The date was good, and I don't plan on seeing him again. End of story!"

Tara began to pout at that, looking very hurt. "I thought we were friends, sharing everything. Why won't you tell me?"

"Because it's embarrassing, all right? I just want to try and forget it ever happened."

"But if it was good, why wouldn't you want to do it again? That's just crazy to give up a good thing. Unless… did he hurt you?"

"No, he didn't hurt me. It's just… he's not…"

Tara frowned, knowing where this was going. "He's just not high on the food chain, is he? I still don't see why that's a big deal anyways, not if you think…"

"Can we just drop it… for now."

"Okay, fine." Tara's face suddenly lit up, and Bonnie was as shocked as always by how Tara could go from bad mood to happy within seconds. "There is this really great sale at Club Banana this weekend, and I thought…"

Bonnie just sighed, casting a glance back at Ron, noting him quickly look away when he saw her turn.

Ron turned quickly away when he saw Bonnie look at him.

I really blew it, didn't I? I knew I never should have gone in for that kiss. Now she's looking at me all angry like. All that hard work, down the drains. I don't even know why I try, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere. She's pretty and popular and why would she even want to date a guy like me.