chapter 9

A thousand things were running through Kim's mind as she made her way down to breakfast, but foremost in her mind was how to get the proof she needed. After all, it could just be a coincidence. But if it was, it was an awful lot of coincidences. Bonnie's change in attitude at the same time Ron had to do a lot of chores for his dad. Bonnie being upset after a fight with her boyfriend at the same time Ron was upset. Bonnie missing school two days before when Ron handled the mission, only to come down with the same illness they had at the same time Ron got it. Tie that in with the mysterious brunette that Shego mentioned. Then there was the way she was treating Ron in school, yet neglecting to act the same way to everyone else like she usually did, and the strange looks between them, and it added up to a lot of coincidences if it wasn't true. But she had to have proof, and find out why Bonnie was trying to play her best friend.

"Kimmie-cub, did you hear a word I said?"

Kim looked up, meeting her father's eyes. "What... or sorry dad."

James Possible paused in doing up his tie. "Are you feeling all right Kim, you're still not sick, are you?"

Kim smiled, grabbing some juice. "Sorry Dad, I just have a lot on my mind today."

James smiled, and then frowned as he couldn't quite get his tie right, opting instead to move over to the coffee machine. "As I was saying, I'm having the entire board of directors from the lab over for dinner, remember?"

"Don't worry Dad, it has top priority on my skedge."

Andrea Possible gave her husband a thoughtful look. "Honey, are these the same board members you're always complaining about?"

James was busy fussing with tie, getting more and more aggravated. "I don't always complain about them." Finally finishing with the tie, he moved right to getting himself a coffee. "I mean, sure, Dr. Cook is a bit of a know-it-all, and Dr. Harris' toupee looks like roadkill, and if Dr. Kramer tells one more pointless story about the old country, so help help me I'll..."

Kim rushed to the counter with a cloth in hand, cutting off her father as she ducked past him to start mopping up the coffee that was now running off the counter and onto the floor. "Maybe you should just skip the coffee today Dad."

James looked sheepish, still holding the coffee pot in one hand. "Heh, sorry Kimmie, I'm as nervous as a porcupine in a balloon factory."

Andrea moved next to her husband, laying a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Hon, you're a shoe-in for promotion."

"But we've never had the big bosses over to the house before."

"Don't worry, we'll be on our best behaviour." Andrea turned, smiling over at her children. "Right kids?"

Kim just looked offended. "Hey, talk to the Tweebs, not me."

Jim and Tim looked up, their mouths full. "Hey, we heard that!"

Just then, Kim heard the front door open, and her smile fell a bit. Kim quickly replaced it with a smile, as Ron stuck his head through the door. "Umm... hola Possible clan. Umm..."

Kim smiled, rising from her seat. "Hey Ron, you ready to go? And how are you feeling, you get over that bug yesterday?"

Ron's mouth was open, but he was not responding. Considering how chipperly Kim had let her voice sound, contrasting with the fact she had refused to talk to him at all the day before, his brain had to be in overload mode right now. Rufus too was confused, his eyes glancing back and forth between the two teens.

Kim smiled wryly, glad to keep him on his toes. "Come on Ron, let's jet. I can tell you all about the call I got last night."

Ron was speechless as Kim dragged him out of the house and down the street. They got two blocks before Ron suddenly pulled up short, stopping Kim in her tracks. "KP, what about..."