chapter 12

Total silence.

Within three seconds of walking through the door, that's all that could be used to describe the situation. Ron and Bonnie, hand in hand, looked off down the hallway, where absolutely every single person was frozen. Bonnie glanced over at Tara, and she could see her friend finally understood just what a serious thing she was doing here. Her gaze shifted to Monique and Kim, who stood frozen as well, obviously not used to being the center of attention in such a manner.

The door behind them clanged shut, and the sound echoed down the halls. No one even reacted to it. Bonnie could feel the nervousness in the others, as every set of eyes locked onto them. As the moment dragged on, Bonnie could hear the definite sounds of nervous wheezing. It sounded loud in the silent halls. "Ron, quit wheezing."

Kim leaned over quickly. "Bonnie, that's you."

Bonnie nodded quickly at that. "Okay then... good... maybe I can pass out then." Bonnie's words carried down the hallway, and she was sure that everyone could hear them, as well as the pounding of her heart. She took a few more deep breaths, practically gasping, then gave Ron's hand a big squeeze. "All right, I can do this. Come on Ronnie."

Bonnie took one step forward, and that step seemed to echo down the corridor as well. All eyes were on them now, almost all looking on with disbelief. A second step, and it was certain that all eyes were on the pair now. Bonnie took a deep breath, forced herself to calm down, and proudly pushed out her chest in defiance.

With confidence, ignoring the stares directed their way, Bonnie pulled Ron towards her locker. When she got there, she released her boyfriend's hand long enough to open her locker and grab her books.

Closing her locker, she smiled at her boyfriend, who looked to her with concern. "See you at lunch Honey." She leaned over, her lips gently meeting his, and she gave him a chaste, but very definite kiss. The loud gasp from all those in attendance could be heard throughout the school, even by those no where near the incident.

With a nod, Ron and Kim headed off towards their lockers. Monique, pouncing quickly, started moving among the students, spreading the word but making sure that it slanted in favour of Ron and Bonnie. Bonnie, with a confident stride, just smiled as she, with Tara in tow, headed for the girl's room to freshen up. Her stride was unhurried, as she ignored the students around her. She was smiling as she entered the washroom, Tara trailing along behind.

Once the door closed behind them, Bonnie collapsed to the floor, on the verge of hyperventilating. Tara, despite her anger, was by her friend's side immediately.

"Oh... that was even worse than I thought... oh God..."

Tara wrapped one arm around her friend's shoulders. "It could have been worse. They could have been laughing."

Bonnie shook her head quickly. "Laughing I could have handled, that would have been a reaction. But that... that staring... I have no idea what to think and... oh geez..."

Tara sighed as she took in the expressions raging across Bonnie's face. "You really love him, don't you, to go through all this?"

Bonnie looked up at her friend, her breathing calming but the turmoil running beneath the surface was evident. "Yeah T, I really do."

Tara slid to the floor beside her friend and sighed. "You know I'll be there for you through this, but you should know I'm still pissed with you."