⌗ CHAPTER 1

SCARLET HEART

CHAPTER 1
A RIVER OF TIME

EDITED - 012924

“HELP!” The dark brown haired girl choked out

“HELP!” The dark brown haired girl choked out. There was nothing she could grab onto as she frantically waved her arms in the water in a desperate attempt to survive. She coughed and spluttered, tears welled up in her eyes while doing her best to keep her head above the water, but it was no use. It was as if something was pulling her under every time she gasped for air.

I don't know how to swim...! I can't breathe...! Her lungs felt like they would collapse as she tried her best not to inhale anymore water than she already had. But it was pointless. Nobody else was around to save her.

Please! Someone... ANYONE! All she could see was the color blue. It filled her entire scope of vision and after a few short moment, it filled her lungs. She was starting to lose consciousness, and her movements stopped as she drifted deeper and deeper from the surface. The colour blue slowly fading to the color black as she closed her eyes.

Please... Save me...

I don't want to die...

━━━━【earlier】━━━━

The sky painted with hues of gold and crimson, mirroring the turmoil within her heart. Yurika stared at her reflection in the small mirror she was holding while tracing the small bruise on her mouth and on her slightly reddened cheeks, the clear evidence of the heat argument with her parents, until she couldn't take it anymore and she stormed off.

She tried to go to her suitor's house to cool off and seek comfort, but she caught him with his friends in a park having a conversation. Yurika hid on the side near them to overhear their conversation, and that's where she learned the truth. Her suitor was just playing with her feelings, a subject of mockery and bets among his friends. She left unable to bear what she heard until she found herself here, in a river park. She scoffed and took a deep breath before closing the mirror and throwing it inside her bag.

Feeling thirsty and exhausted, Yurika reached for her bag, and took her water container. She was grateful to find some water left before taking a drink. The sun dipped lower in the sky, casting a warm glow across the river. Her solitude was interrupted when she noticed a beggar old man nearby her side, his eyes fixed longingly on her water bottle.

Without hesitation, she extended the bottle to him, recognizing a shared thirst for something more than just water. “Here,” she said, her voice soft with vulnerability.

The beggar smiles and accepted the offering gratefully, he sat next to her with still space between them before drinking a lot.

There was a comfortable silence between the two of them before Yurika spoke, needing an outlet for her emotions. “Sir.” She started while hugging her legs close to her. She was thankful because the skirt of her uniform was tight so she didn't have a problem with someone seeing what she was wearing underneath her skirt.