⌗ CHAPTER 15

SCARLET HEART

CHAPTER 15
FINAL SELECTION

EDITED - 012924

Not gonna lie, Yurika still got lost a few times on her way to the exam, even though Urokodaki's crow assisted her

Not gonna lie, Yurika still got lost a few times on her way to the exam, even though Urokodaki's crow assisted her. It's just really easy for Yurika to get distracted when she sees things that capture her attention.

This situation sent her into a panic, especially when the crow started scolding her because she often gets distracted, especially when she sees beautiful butterflies or when she becomes absentminded thinking about various things.

It didn't help that she forgot to bring a hood or umbrella either. Now, the sun could beat down on her mercilessly whenever it was daytime. Fortunately, it wouldn't be light out when it came time to fight off demons, and she had the option to stick to the shade whenever the sun rose.

Wiping off the remaining sweat from under her mask, Yurika thanked the heavens that the moon was finally up, she finally knew where to go with the help of the crow. It didn't take long before she saw the distant purple glow of the wisteria, instantly brightening her mood as she quickened her pace to reach her destination.

However, her excitement gave way to nausea and nervousness.

Holy crap...

Yurika placed her hands on her chest, attempting to calm her heartbeat as she took a deep breath.

Okay, calm down...

Shaking off the unease to the best of her ability and readjusting her mask, Yurika tried to comfort herself.

You got this... Just... Be strong and be a man~!

Despite feeling like she might throw up the rice she had for lunch, she was determined to push through and keep it down.

Moving through the forest a bit slower than she would have liked, Yurika sighed in relief upon reaching the starting line. Several other kids with swords were standing around, mostly minding their own business and wearing frowns like it was their duty to look unhappy.

Granted, if she weren't hiding her face, she might have had an expression resembling irritation and disgust, so she wasn't going to judge.

They all sported impressive scars on their bodies—some on their arms or chests, while others boldly displayed them on their faces for all the world to see. As cool as she thought they looked, Yurika had no intention of enduring the pain that came with intentionally getting such scars. If she happened to get a cool-looking scar, great. Whatever. But there was no way she would deliberately choose that path.

Nobody was talking to each other, which reminded her of the first day in college when everyone already had their own friend groups, leaving her bored and lonely. It was easy to get used to Tanjirou's comforting presence, but he wasn't here right now. It was almost too easy for her mind to drift into anxiety as she contemplated how truly alone she was.